Raina Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 Hi all, I know that if you keep reptile eggs in an incubator 1 - 2 degrees lower than the 'normal' temp you'll end up with females. so i was wondering, will the same happen with chicken eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 There are some members on the Practical Poultry trying that as an experiment at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what results they get! Surely it can't be as simple as that though??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Raina Posted July 7, 2009 Author Share Posted July 7, 2009 I hope that Lower Temp = Female chicks really happens as then no chicks would have to be culled Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 i think the huge suppliers of chicks to the poultry industry would have cottoned on to this trick if it worked... good to have a try though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 but how do you lower a broodies temp on the nest to get girls ?? Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 I'm sure the breeders would have hit upon this before now if it was correct. If you lower the temperature too far in your incubator,you are unlikely to have a successful hatch.......and any that do hatch are likely to hatch late. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted July 10, 2009 Share Posted July 10, 2009 I don't think so either. Birds have their sex determined at fertilisation (much like people, except I think that for birds, XY leads to female and XX to male - the opposite of us). So changing temperature wouldn't affect them, except that many would never hatch. So all you hatchers will have to keep planning what to do with the inevitable boys . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted July 10, 2009 Share Posted July 10, 2009 I know its true in reptiles but I doubt it to be true in birds and could just result in the chicks not hatching. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...