effingpot Posted July 11, 2009 Share Posted July 11, 2009 Well after months of mucking about with camera, firewall and html codes, we finally got our chicken cam working. It's a wireless camera sitting in the back of the garage pointing out the window into the chicken run. It sends the signal to my broadband router and with a bit of techy jiggery pokery out to the internet so it can be viewed from anywhere. (It will ask to run some activex controls for the camera SW to work, which you need to accept). The formatting is not great with Internet Explorer. I want to resize and embed it in this page. It works fine in Firefox and other browsers but formats wrong in IE. If anyone has figured out how to solve this please let me know. If you want to have a go yourself, follow the instructions here. Anyway it's a bit of fun to be able to see the kids feed the chickens when I'm at the office. What do you think? (Probably that I need help and maybe to get out more!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocolateeclaire Posted July 12, 2009 Share Posted July 12, 2009 Blimming brilliant!!! As I still havent mastered sending a basic photo to this site I wont bother at looking at your instructions just yet!! Claire Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted July 12, 2009 Share Posted July 12, 2009 Wow, that's fab . I love your chicken run - it's fantastic . (I saw a strange looking pigeonchicken type creature wandering about for a bit before a real chicken hove into view though .) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
effingpot Posted July 12, 2009 Author Share Posted July 12, 2009 That may have been the blackbirds or pigeons. They seem to live on layers pellets and mixed corn.We've even had pheasants in there from time to time. It's funny to watch the chickens as the pheasant takes off and soars over the 6 foot fence. They just look at each other in amazement. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scrambledhead Posted July 12, 2009 Share Posted July 12, 2009 That is soooo cool! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stargirl Posted July 13, 2009 Share Posted July 13, 2009 That's brilliant, I love it! I now have it bookmarked to look at when I need to calm down at work... My colleague on the next next says I'm mad! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ness3103 Posted July 13, 2009 Share Posted July 13, 2009 i can't see it every time i click on the link it says oops this link appears to be broken Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
effingpot Posted July 13, 2009 Author Share Posted July 13, 2009 It requires your browser to run an activex control. If in your security settings you have banned this, it won't work. It normally pops up a litte line at the top of the screen asking permission to run. You could try a different browser - Chrome and Firefox seem to work best. I just checked it and it works fine at the moment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
attenbhp Posted July 13, 2009 Share Posted July 13, 2009 I can't see your camera yet - my office firewall won't let me. I'll try at home later, but I'm very interested in doing this myself. I got given the camera for my birthday, but haven't installed it yet. Do you think it would be considered impolite to install a camera inside the nest box? Did you have any problem with your broadband internet service provider? I was under the impression that they didn't like people streaming live video from their homes, without paying more. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
atsw Posted July 13, 2009 Share Posted July 13, 2009 Do you think it would be considered impolite to install a camera inside the nest box?. Providing there's no noise and no bright lighting the chickens won't even notice. How much you'll see is another matter. A number of Omletters have installed cameras in their coops, most look out towards the run. Did you have any problem with your broadband internet service provider? I was under the impression that they didn't like people streaming live video from their homes, without paying more. Bandwidth is only consumed when someone connects to view the video stream. On most domestic Broadband connections the upstream link is much slower than downstream, so that is the limiting factor on usage and throughput. If you are on a metered service you pay for all your bandwidth, if you use lots your ISP will charge you accordingly. Most decent web cams have good software that lets you disconnect people after a certain view time or cut them off after a certain amount of usage. Without these protections in place you could end up paying quite a lot more each month for bandwidth. Andrew Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
*mummy_hen* Posted July 13, 2009 Share Posted July 13, 2009 I am super I desperately want a chickencam but OH is yet to get round to it!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...