noyan

no eggs otherwise healthy

one of my hybrid hens seems to have stopped laying. she never did lay regular. got her in feb this year as pol. apart from being a bit dim she seems to be healthy. good feathers and comb nice and red and plump. should I be worried :?

Are you giving her layers pellets as the main part of her diet?

Too many treats and free ranging might get in the way of getting optimum nutrition from her pellets. Why not try confining her to her run with just pellets for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

Has she been wormed recently and have you checked her for signs of lice and her housing for evidence of red mite. Any of these could stop her from laying.

Have you hunted round the garden to see if she is laying a secret stash under a shrub? :D

cannot see anything on her. worm them all every month so that should not be problem. she has layed a few soft shelled eggs but never anything regular. we were away for the week last week with neighbour sitting. they were let out more that week so might be the answer.the others produce one a day two of them ever day so Babs stands out she also lays almost white eggs.

Kept them all in this week and she has started laying again had three eggs from her this week. Extended the run last weekend so they do have plenty of room. maybe only let them out for an hour a day and see how she gets on. thanks for all the advice, ann

This is reassuring to read

I have a White Star called Millie who laid 4 soft shelled eggs last week and this week nothing. She is perky, lively, eating well and drinking normally. She was wormed recently (along with the other 3) with Flubenvet and has no mites or lice. I checked her vent and all seems well. She was enjoying a dust bath yesterday afternoon under the garden bench making lovely trilling noises.

Am going to keep her in the run this week and no treats to see if this makes a difference.

As long as she's healthy I don't mind a few less eggs.