T

Chicken Utterings...

Since meeting our chickens 10 days ago, I have pondered the meanings of their noises. I am sure there is something somewhere on the omlet site but I just wonder what they are trying to communicate with the assortment of noises....

Quiet "porp porp"

Almost a purring

I get the excitement one having witnesses the first earthworm and the alarm.

(And I was sad to find 6 or more weeks to first egg lay.)

8) Yes, I love the range of sounds and have noticed that it even varies with individual chickens. Purring seems universal but some extra talk needs interpretation. Luckily, I now understand, and speak, :oops: chicken language.

I found it a long wait for eggs, but it is such fun getting to know the girls, that really eggs seem like a bonus if you have a long wait.

You'll be expert in the communications by then :wink:

My favourite is Clarry's excited noise when she finds some juicy bug or a big pile of sweetcorn or grapes she'd not spotted before. It's "ick ick ick" and it sounds just like an excited "look, look!" for the others. She also dances from foot to foot while she does it.

She's lovely!

I'm not yet fluent in chicken speak :oops: but I do recognise the "oy, come and let us out of this *%|*\\** run" squawk, the "I've found something wriggly and tasty over here" call, and definately love the gutteral rumblings that go with a contended cuddle, or just settling down to roost. Lovely :)

They are such rewarding creatures, and suprisingly communicative :D

Our four all sound different so we even know which one has laid / found a slug or is just happy :D

Margot can regularly be heard grumbling (well REALLY Jerry and well THANK you very much Jerry)!!

Barbara goes round hearding the dogs and us up?!?! :? with little sqwaks as if to say - grape grapes give me grapes now or else!!! :lol::lol:

Having had a multitude of different pets over the years, I have to say that hens rate way up the interesting behaviour scale. I can't understand why it has taken the eglu to make them recognised as wonderful pets. Plus there is the unique bonus of eggs :lol::lol::lol:

BTW heard on radio 4 this morning that in a court case in California a hen was legally recognised as a pet rather than livestock. Apparently it was something to do with a hen wandering out onto the highway.......even Radio 4 couldn't resist 'hen crossing the road' comments :roll:

Betty makes traditional hen 'buk buk' noises, but Elsie makes a sort of 'oooo-OOOO!' noise. A cross between an intrigued fishwife who just heard some juicy gossip, a cow and a donkey. Or when she's *really* excited, an elephant.

The worrying thing is that both Mum and I have found ourselves making a similar noise when in conversation. :shock: