BeckyBoo Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 Not sure if this is the right place for this - I've gone back to being a vegetarian which is fine as I think I can dredge my memory as to how to balance my diet! BUT I've also decided to go dairy free which I've never done before - so I've got soya milk which is fine for tea and coffee but what does anyone do about cheese, yoghurt, cream etc? I'm not allergic it's an ethical thing and I don't know if goats are treated the same as cows with regards to removal of the young to get to the milk - if they're not I'll happily eat goats milk products, but if they are then I want to avoid them too! PLUS goats milk cheese isn't the same as cheddar which is the sort of thing I'm trying to replace. Thanks for any ideas! BeckyBoo Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 So far as I know, the issue is the same; the mother animal can only produce so much milk, and either the offspring gets it or people do. However kindly the farmer deals with the issue, this basic trade-off cannot be escaped. With goats, in most cases I believe kids are actually raised on a cow's milk based formula after their first milk from their mother, and since goats produce much less milk than cows it's actually more important to remove the young from the mother. There are, however, plenty of non-dairy alternatives (what they taste like, I cannot say.....) available from various retailers. One example online is here I hasten to add that this is only based on what I've read up on, and I have no practical expertise. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
helenarees Posted August 7, 2009 Share Posted August 7, 2009 Hello, I use this company http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/ who are vegan and they've got really delicious range of food including vegan cheese products. I haven't found any of their products which aren't brilliant. I buy direct from their on-line shop or you can get from Holland and Barrett or sometimes in Morrisons. Helena Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 As the Major says - animal milk is gained by removing the young. The alternatives aren't always brilliant so it's good to see that Helena has found some that seem to be OK. Also, try the different milks - I can't use soya milk as it gives me a sore-throat - it took me ages to work out that it was the milk - I swapped to Rice Milk. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BeckyBoo Posted August 8, 2009 Author Share Posted August 8, 2009 I have to say I'm struggling with the milk thing, I LOVE cold milk, not very often but when you want it, nothing else will do and tbh, the soya milk isn't very nice so far. Plus I keep forgetting you can't put it straight into boiling tea or coffee so have to keep chucking cups of curdled yuk away I tried mixing it with eggs to make a quiche mixture as my friend told me you could heat it - as in cook it - Nah uh, didn't work Mind you, I'm tired as I'm on nights so might keep at it for a while yet - when I'm back on days I should hopefully be a bit more tolerant.... BeckyBoo Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 give rice milk a try Its nice on cereal Ive had soya milk - once - never again cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vivihen Posted August 8, 2009 Share Posted August 8, 2009 I have tried various brands of soya milk and always come back to 'Alpro', I use soya cream in quiches rather than soya milk and my daughter (who is allergic to dairy) makes ice-cream with it when we have a glut of eggs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 I am a soya milk fan. Am vegetarian, but avoid dairy mostly. Alpro Soya yoghurts are delicious. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 My sister has MS and is on a dairy and wheat free diet. She uses soya milk - she says you get used to it after a while. Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 Due to me still feeding my daughter and her having eczema and allergies I was advised to go dairy, wheat and citrus fruit free. I am also a vegetarian and so I found this whole process incredibly hard. Personally I wouldnt touch cheese replacements "Sheeze" or "Cheesley" with a barge pole! I'd rather eat the shavings of a PedEgg - they would be much more tasty! I tended to fill up on egg based dishes and soya yoghurt. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 9, 2009 Share Posted August 9, 2009 Personally I wouldnt touch cheese replacements "Sheeze" or "Cheesley" with a barge pole!I'd rather eat the shavings of a PedEgg - they would be much more tasty! Emma!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted August 10, 2009 Share Posted August 10, 2009 I'd rather eat the shavings of a PedEgg - they would be much more tasty! I just wanted to say, well done for being able to stick to your principles. The furthest I have got so far is buying "Rachels milk" from happy free range cows, but I know the young are still removed . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted August 10, 2009 Share Posted August 10, 2009 Personally I wouldnt touch cheese replacements "Sheeze" or "Cheesley" with a barge pole!I'd rather eat the shavings of a PedEgg - they would be much more tasty! Emma!! If you had ever tried Sheeze or Cheesley you would agree with me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 13, 2009 Share Posted August 13, 2009 I have.....and I do..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted August 13, 2009 Share Posted August 13, 2009 You CAN source your milk. I remember sitting in the car once on a country lane letting a herd of Freisians cross the road on the way to milking. Their udders were horrendously turgid with milk veins as fat as my wrist and they were skin and bone. NO flesh on them at all. All their energy used for making milk. SOME farmers are getting their heads round this killing of male calves by rearing them as rose veal, at the same time using cows that are more meaty. This entails the calf running outside for a few weeks with mum then going into a loose barn to be fed up till 9 months of age. Mum then goes on into the normal dairy herd. A much better life than no life and considering that most cows spend six months a year inside anyway it doesn't seem as awful. So strangely, if you eat meat it helps these farmers to buy their veal. My point is that you CAN drink "kind" milk and eat "kind" cheese and you can always make your own cheese ...... it's easy!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted August 14, 2009 Share Posted August 14, 2009 Try googling some raw food recipes. There are some delicious foods out there. Instead of trying to find substitutes for foods, find new foods. Sunflower Cheez, is not cheddar but is tasty in it's own right. Almond milk is delicious, but probably not in your tea or a quiche. I might have to go and munch on some almonds before I go to bed. Mmmm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...