The good lifers

why is she doing this and what can I do about it?(squawking)

I have had my 2 girls for a year now, but lately, in the summer, one chicken has started squawking madly when the other girl has gone into lay, she seems to stop when you go out and see her, but wondered if this was because she was lonely?

I was also wondering if it was because they were in a bigger run,with the house higher up, out of eyeline, on bedding and whether putting them back in the traditional eglu/run on grass may help her to feel secure?If you see what I mean?!!

I think I remember seeing something about someone else having this problem, but I am not sure getting another chicken helped? They are fine apart from this and the other girl is a model suburban chicken, i.e. chats quietly!!The neighbours haven't complained yet, but I want to avoid this. when I do let her out she does tend to just sit at the back door, maybe she thinks she's a human? :anxious:

Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks

Mine sometimes do this but it's not a daily event. I used to sit in the house worrying about whether the neighbours were getting annoyed but then I started timing it. It only lasts 3 minutes maximum and only happens once a day (and not early in the morning) so I decided that it couldn't possibly annoy people so much that they'd complain. Next doors kids make more noise after all :roll: .

Try timing it - you may find it doesn't go on as long as you imagine :) .

We have an Ara who has only laid a dozen eggs in her whole life (and none at all this year :roll: ) and just lately she has started squawking in the early mornings.

It is a truly awful noise, grating and loud.

She's not top bird, in fact she's bottom so can't be 'going blokey' :lol:

Blimmin birds....you'd think it would all be plain sailing four years in wouldn't you? :roll:

I too have one noisey hen who squarks whenever another hen is laying. Sorry, I haven't yet found a solution (if one exists :think: ) but what I can confirm is that gettting another hen is NOT the solution :( We thought it may be that she was lonely whilst Jimbo was laying so we introduced a third hen. They are all friends now and fully integrated but instead of one batch of squarking we have two so have made the issue worse :wall: This seems to be getting earlier and I just wish there was a way to encourage them to lay later on :think: Why oh why do they have to lay at 6.30am :?:

6.30 she was at it this morning, still in the eglu, starting to get at wits end... I have rebuilt the eglu run and house to see if that helped, but whilst the sound was a bit deadened by being on the ground, she still did it!! :wall: the other is lovely and quiet, I wonder if it's the breed? she and my dads past chickens are white or crossed with light sussex hens and they seem to be loud?The brown hens seem to have always been quiet?? :think: I was even thinking whether trying to swap her might be the solution? :oops: she is only noisey after she and the other hen has layed!! however she is lovely when she's quiet and will always sit on your lap for a cuddle so I really want to try all the other options before giving her up... :(

A couple of my girls make a right row when one or the other has layed ,sounds like a recording they used to have in asda at the egg section .It used to be terrible cos everyones kids used to keep pressing the button and it was always on the go.......Asda took it out in the end :lol:

I dont think mine go on for long but I tend to worry about the neighbours too so I ust chuck a handful of corn or beansprouts out for them...silence in a second :wink:

xx

:lol: gnats fart!!! Had a chat with OH and we both agreed swopping chickens not an option!!I think I will have to just keep them occupied whilst this is going on, I have to get up very early!!! Am trying out screening the run and have removed the big perch, so they can't see us (don't try and get our attention?) and no perch means no mimicking a cockrel!??

She still squawks in the eglu, but the door is shut :anxious: It will be cooler soon, knowing this country's weather and we can all shut the windows!!Just when you think it will be easy!!