Janty

Scariest section of the forum

Just wanted to add onto what Janty originally said. I posted a couple of times when the beehaus was launched then stopped coming on the site altogether as it was not a nice experience. I actually only looked today because my bee club is starting back next week and I know that people there will ask me about the beehaus and how it is coming along. So it is reassuring to know that I was not the only one who felt intimidated/overwhelmed by the responses on the site.

Will keep and eye on the site and report to my club

Jackie

Hi guys

I have just joined the forum - I am a member on the beekeeping forum and I have to say I am one of the few, along with Jim who try and balance the viewpoints.

Speaking as a beekeeper of some 18 years experince, it will take alot for established beekeepers to chance their hive types as they are happy with what they have. I for one don't think the top bar hive is much of a step forward for the hobby, but others like it and I am happy to disagree.

I think the Beehaus is a very interesting development of the dartington hive. For one, it is insulated - I have often admired polyhives - in the Nordic countries, up to 90% of hives are poly ! They are said to winter better - I am yet to find out next year !

As a new hive the beehaus is a step in the right direction in the way it will encourage new beekeepers to the hobby - and WE NEED THEM ! The more people who start up this rewarding hobby the better. It will help add to the growing clamour to save the bee and every 'newbeek' needs to make themselves aware of the issues and help influence the population too !

Anyone who is thinking about starting out in bees should ignore any negative comments. Just think that when man first invented the wheel, there must have been hundreds who stood round shaking their heads saying it'll never catch on....and look where we are now !

Just remember - find out all you can. join a local association (but be mindful they probably won't have a BeeHaus so won't be able to help much on the hive front) ask lots of questions on the forum, get a local mentor as they can help you if there is an urgent problem, and sign up to one of the Omlet courses, I firmly believe newbeeks need coaching and support!!)

Good luck and lets get BEEKEEPING !!

Steve

I am one of the few, along with Jim who try and balance the viewpoints.

Or you could try pdcambs or me.

I don't get over here much, now the mis-information re the new hive has been cleared up and we all know for certain it is a plastic Dartington.

I have used my first Dartington through two winters. I built my second (mostly from offcuts) this spring and it has been in use this summer and most definitely they will have a colony in each for over-wintering (Dartingtons are not really a full-time two-colony hive). they will be well insulated from the cold with 25 and 50mm insulation boards.

I run Nationals with 14 x 12 broods alongside my Dartingtons. I now have nothing on standard National brood. I have kept bees for close to ten years now and quite like the Dartingtons - they have there advantages and disadvatages.

If you want un-biassed answers, pm me.

Regards, RAB