Janty

Scariest section of the forum

I have to say that reading through some of the posts in 'Bees' is awful.

:(

I can honestly say that it has put me off keeping bees in the future completely.

Every page seems to be littered with negative comments, personal attacks and people trying to belittle others.

This is not a war...we have lots of new members who have joined lately and it would be lovely to share information and maybe interest a few people in keeping chickens who don't already.

Next time you feel the urge to make a snotty or nasty comment, please remember that you were a novice once and that there are young people on the forum who do not deserve to have their enthusiasm or their confidence shattered.

Jan

Well said Janty.

We had a fledgling Bees section which was running nicely until recently. Most of us who have hives are novices and would welcome help and advice from experienced beekeepers not just the nasty comments which we are unable to answer.

There was a question from a new beekeeper on here last night - but no-one replied, which was a shame. The query has disappeared and I assume the OP deleted it - I was wary of answering it as an inexperienced beekeeper and not knowing what sort of response my reply might receive.

I hope you don't let all the negativity put you off Janty.

I have to say that reading through some of the posts in 'Bees' is awful.

I can honestly say that it has put me off keeping bees in the future completely.

Every page seems to be littered with negative comments, personal attacks and people trying to belittle others.

This is not a war...we have lots of new members who have joined lately and it would be lovely to share information and maybe interest a few people in keeping chickens who don't already.

Next time you feel the urge to make a snotty or nasty comment, please remember that you were a novice once and that there are young people on the forum who do not deserve to have their enthusiasm or their confidence shattered.

Jan

Me too!

It reminds me of some other forums "out there" where every post that is made is immediately shot down in flames making it hard to find the information that one is actually looking for. The best thing about the Omlet forum (excepting the bees section) is how friendly and nice it is. I think one should never say on a forum anything that one would not say to someone's face. It seems that some others don't abide by that rule (or if they do, I certainly would not want to meet them face to face :o )

I know what you mean re: snotty and patronising comments on posts.

It's a shame more people aren't starting threads on here, of the chatty-cheery-variety even! But then... it doesn't take much negativity to spoil it, and am not sure I would bother again.

Don't let it put you off beekeeping - it is a hobby where most people don't agree with anyone else, but in the real world no-one rude about it....it's also a hobby where most people will be prepared to help others out, listen to and respect other peoples opinions same as in any other group of people would.

I read this section frequently (I have high hopes of one day having a small holding, and keeping bees :pray: ) but I always this twice about posting anything :?

even when I post I go back and wait for a negative comment - sad really.

anyway...

chickenanne, its nice to know that the negative people are in the minority, and most bee keepers are enthusiastic enough to listen to other peoples views and gently point them in the right direction.

there are plenty of "different products" in the world, life would be boring if we all used the same one. (gosh, Honda would have never designed the Civic, everyone would be in wind-up cars :shock::lol: ) so surely we can all have different designs for other things :D

ok,im going to go back to my nice little world :whistle::whistle::lol:

cathy

x

• Omlet Staff

Hi,

I am sorry that the bee section of the forum hasn't started perfectly - however I am confident that it will become friendlier and busier as more Omleteers start keeping bees.

The overall feeling from the general beekeeping community has been very positive. Here at Omlet HQ, we speak to large numbers of new and old beekeepers on the phones everyday. All are positive about the beehaus and many are now getting a beehaus and Omlet bees. The first beehaus's have started to go out this week and so there should be more people with experience of them around.

I am planning to spend more time here in the bee area of the forum to help answer questions.

Thanks,

James

There is a bit of a fear of being shot down if flames, which is a big shame. It will be nice to get back to the forum's usual helpful tone. Please dont be put of beekeeping if you are serious about giving it a go.

We have had bees for 5 years and I dont profess to know everything about bees by a long shot. The only opinions I can give are my own and I'd love to lend a hand to anyone who wants a bit of advice on bees.

I dont have any affinity to any product and we wont be having a beehaus. However I am really interested in seeing how it works and would love to get my mitts on one out of interest. Im looking forward to hearing how people get on with them.

:clap: for a friendly forum.

Penguinmad has started a lovely thread about beehives that people have seen :D

I am waiting for the first condecending post on Pengys comment about the 'pretty hive and ugly hive' as some expert swoops in to say why the pretty one is useless or something :(

Its such a shame when you see such awful comments, it makes you think all beekeepers are like that and if you do dare to venture in to the hobby without a zillion years of research you won't get any support :(

Just to reassure you all a bit, that post which disappeared was mine - I took it down as there were no replies and it was a bit urgent. However, I had a lot of lovely, helpful replies from another beeforum; my desire for an answer overcame my hesitancy in using it :D

thank you :D I'd not seen it before and was slightly in panic mode. The rational bit of me knew they weren't preparing to swarm or been overrun by wasps, but then I thought are they ill? what are they doing? I couldn't find it mentioned in my book or online when I looked. Anyway the answer was just the heat!

I'm glad you started this thread. I joined a couple of bee forums, but have been pretty terrified about posting .... on one of them someone mildly suggested putting in an intro section to the forum ... this evoked several really annoyed and scary responses. However, the forum is full of very knowledgeable people, it's just not a "chatty" one.

I did join a US bee forum and only ONE person (also from the UK) responded to my "hello" :oops: needless to say, I slunk back under my rock and have not been back since. :roll:

I know what everyone is saying here, but I think the Beehaus has been so revolutionary that people are asking some serious questions. These can sometimes seem quite negative, but things like the Foul Brood thread are really important. The problem with !bee! is that if things go wrong the consequences are more serious than with GNR .

Things were much more friendly when the only bee thread was one in 'The Good Life' section. The introduction of the Beehaus has changed all this. Once it is seen on the ground in numbers I am sure that it will become less controversial and this section will calm down.

Please read above with a smile on your face, as I am writing this after Peaches has delivered a large Pimms to the computer. I do enjoy this forum over other bee forums, as it is friendlier, but I do go elsewhere for serious answers to problems as they have a wider knowledge base.

I joined the National Beekeepers Association forum last week just for some more information and they sent me a Happy Birthday message today so that was nice! :lol: indie :)

I joined the National Beekeepers Association forum last week just for some more information and they sent me a Happy Birthday message today so that was nice! :lol: indie :)

For people who are serious about the craft, they are an a most helpful resource and centre of excellence. I value the NBKA highly.

For people who are serious about the craft, they are an a most helpful resource and centre of excellence. I value the NBKA highly.

Sorry - maybe I misunderstood - do you mean the BBKA, or if not, who is the NBKA? The only one I know of is in New Zealand.

Or did you mean the Natural Beekeeping Network ?

Sorry - maybe I misunderstood - do you mean the BBKA, or if not, who is the NBKA? The only one I know of is in New Zealand.

I join any association that will listen to me had a look it was the BBA not the BBKA

To some AA means Automobile Asssociation but to my medical mind it would mean Alcholics Anonymous!

Anyhow they sent me Happy Birthday wishes so that was fine by me! Good for them! :lol:

indie :lol:

The BBKA