Clare L

Questions about soft eggs

This morning I had two soft eggs from my girls. One I think came from one of our omlet girls who have been laying perfect eggs most days since we got them over a month ago and the second came from one of our younger girls who has only been laying a week and has had good eggs every day since.

The odd thing (or at least I think it is odd) is that both eggs were on the roosting bars so had dropped into the trays. They have all been using the egg laying bit everytime they have layed an egg, so why now both use the bars? The only thing I can think of is that I put some red mite powder into the nest box area and also onto the hay in the egg box...would this put them off??

I dont know why two of them would suddenly have soft eggs. They have pellets available all day and also bird grit added to their food and a separate bowl of omlet grit (which they dont seem to like - they like bird grit!). How long would it take for a lack in pellets to effect their eggs? Just thinking that the weekend gone they spent 90% of both days free-ranging in the garden, so may not have had enough pellets (the door to the cube was open, so they could have come in and eaten if they wanted to)....would this affect their eggs like this?

What is the best way to get calcium into them? At the moment I bake their egg shells and sometimes mix them into their evening snack, and if they are not going to be free ranging I will give them some greens. Their evening snack is usually left over cooked veg or plain pasta or corn on the cob. Would I be wise to get them some mash and give it to them as a snack in the evening?

Sorry I am waffling away here, just being a worried mother hen!

Hi,

I have read about quite a few hens laying softies on the roosting bars.

My girls have very thick egg shells (once dropped one on the floor & it didn't even crack :shock: )

I give my girls mixed flint grit (from Flyte So Fancy)it has calcium things in the & oyster shell

i also give them cuttle fish & Limestone Flour,the pet stuff not the builders stuff,i also give the Limestone flour to my tortoises too

Oh and i also boil the girls egg (none of us eat them) and crush them up with the shells still on and give them that about 3 times a week

Hope this helps,

Raina GNR GNR

mix cod liver oil in the pellets a couple of times a week it contain vit. D which helps the body adsorb calcium. The grit and egg shell are best on there own

as for laying softies from the perch

1:- they know when the egg is no good so they don't bother going in the nest box

2:- or they get court short

I prefer reason 1 as an explanation my self having seen my 2 layers lay for to many softies

i also give them cuttle fish & Limestone Flour

Thank you for the replies. I had a cuttle fish, so I have put that into their run this evening and gave them some crushed baked shells with their runner beans (they dont seem to touch grit/shells on their own). With the Limestone Flour, do you know if there an amount they should be having, or it is just a sprinkle? I assume it needs to be added to food like mash rather than sprinkled over treats/pellets...

So tomorrow I am off out to buy some Limestone flour, mash and cod liver oil to add to my chicken storecupboard - just got a new shed, and already it is filled with chicken stuff :whistle:

The odd thing (or at least I think it is odd) is that both eggs were on the roosting bars so had dropped into the trays. They have all been using the egg laying bit everytime they have layed an egg, so why now both use the bars? The only thing I can think of is that I put some red mite powder into the nest box area and also onto the hay in the egg box...would this put them off??

Funny, mine only ever lay soft eggs on the bars too. I bought a cat carrier for the WIR and now none of the girls will lay in the eglu...they prefer the cat carrier :?:

But...we have had 3 soft shell eggs now spaced over 3 weeks and they are always laid on the bars :?

i also give them cuttle fish & Limestone Flour

Thank you for the replies. I had a cuttle fish, so I have put that into their run this evening and gave them some crushed baked shells with their runner beans (they dont seem to touch grit/shells on their own). With the Limestone Flour, do you know if there an amount they should be having, or it is just a sprinkle? I assume it needs to be added to food like mash rather than sprinkled over treats/pellets...

So tomorrow I am off out to buy some Limestone flour, mash and cod liver oil to add to my chicken storecupboard - just got a new shed, and already it is filled with chicken stuff :whistle:

I had this with mine when I first got them it turned out to be the feeder I'd brought the holes weren't big anough for them to sort through the grit to find the bit they wanted so I made the hole into slots went from 8 holes to 4 slots