Biker Chick

Those chickens are plotting something!!!!

Ok, I am about to admit defeat.....my WIR is built on compacted soil and hemcore and outside the run I have a run of bricks and boulders to stop any nasty predators getting in. I know in my heart of hearts I should have put a base of slabs down, but with the cost of everything else, I didnt :(

Why do my girls insist on trying to dig their way out. They have a lovely new large WIR with lots of playthings to keep them amused.

I went down the garden this morning to say goodbye to them as I was leaving for work and there they are, all in a huddle, looking positively guilty :oops: On closer inspection they have dug a huge hole very close to the edge. They watch me go in and fill this hole and as soon as my back is turned, there they are, heads down, bums up and digging. :evil:

Perhaps my mission this weekend is going to be laying some slabs.

mine do that as well :lol: i just fill them in when they go to bed so they can start digging again in the morning :lol: i don't think they're trying to dig their way out, just like to dig a nice big hole to dustbathe in (ignoring the lovely dustbath filled with sand & compost :roll: )

(pink eglu) + WIR

GNR Lavender

GNR Mabel

(white chicken) Marjorie

Ooohhh Mine did that, hubby dug a trench a few weeks ago stapled mesh and the pored in concrete... he wasnt happy :shameonu::shameonu: But I now feel safe and the Beasties ( used to be called Girlies but got naughty) :lol::lol: still dig but they cant get out and nasty Critters cant get in. :dance:

I have slabs under my WIR but the Eglu and ark run both have mesh under the woodchip to stop chickens digging out and anything digging in

I havent had any problems with my chooks feet at all as I provide lots of woodchip for them to dig in so will do the same on the next run