mad.hen1

Very red skin, would appreciate advice and thoughts.

hello all

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this.

Posh (my pepperpot) has really red skin on her fluffy backside area (sorry, it probably has a more technical name than that!) The feathers, which are usually lovely looking and soft, are a little matted and the skin can be seen through them, and it is really red looking. There's no sign of pecking or blood there, it's just red.

I am thinking mites or lice though I can't see any (this daid, she is not that easy to check over.)

If so, how do I know which product to use and is there one that will deal with all types of infestation?

She is moulting too by the way.

Would really appreciate thoughts as am confused re. different types of potential infestation and the seemingly wide variety of products available.

Thanks so much for any help.

There seem to be a lot of depluming mite cases this year. If you can, read the posts on this forum and others about this, and see if the descriptions match the condition of your hen.

I have just started treating one of mine with flowers of sulphur: after I saw that Egluntine had mixed this with cream, I tried it too with the only cream that I had in the house - end of a tube of E45 cream (only enough for one application) and then with some Nivea (one application so far).

Thanks - have just ordered some diatomaceous earth (? spelling) from the site - do you think this will do the trick?

The only treatment that I have come across involves any or all of baths with anti-flea dog shampoo or Ecover and flowers of sulphur (buy off eBay). Someone more expert will be along in a minute but I don't know if diatomaceous earth will work against depluming mite (because it doesn't run around on the surface of the hen's skin but burrows into the hen down the feather shafts).

Two of my hens have had bald undercarriages for a couple of months now..no matting though.

One has been broody so I am certain she has plucked them for her nesting. The other I have no idea but I have dusted them all for mites just in case, and dusted the hemcore in the nest area. I cant see any mite signs and fortuntely no pecking from the others.

But the others have lovely fluffy bottoms, I dont know why? But they are all eating and healthy otherwise. Just keep observing too

indie :?:

Hello,

Have had some more thoughts and i think it may not be the de-pluming mite as she actually hasn't lost any feathers (i don't think.) She has the fluffy plumage either side of a balder area, which is redder, but then that area is growing new feathers, can see them coming through. Checked out pix online of deplumed bottoms and they were worse than hers.

Any further thoughts? All input appreciated.

umm, just been reading this and related posts and have just ordered some flowers of sulphur too as Hermione is looking a tad nickerless and sore like some of the photos. This forum is so helpful! :clap:

She has been bathed in warm soapy water, diatomed and red-mite powdered (she so loves her mummy at the moment - not :evil: ) but still looks sore so hopefully this will do the trick.

ps am gettting brownie points back as I have just added some spare topsoil to the run which they have made into a lovely dust bath :D Have also found them some worms - but they seemed to struggle, obviously too used to those well behaved spaghetti worms :roll:

I hope you find out what is up with your girls, mad.hen1