Egluntyne

Internet Explorer 7

The link to the Irn Bru video in youtube mentioned in the "Batten down the Hatches" thread wont play on firefox..........it does play in IE7 though.

What should I be doing?

sorry - I missed this question..

Youtube videos are in flash format - Firefox will play these - it may just be that you have to install the latest version of flash player

go here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW

download it and follow the instructions. it's a quick download and should install itself very easily - then you should be able to see YouTube videos in Firefox.

Phil

One thing - I have it all installed & it seems great,but I have no little pinging noises any more when I click on Favourites/bookmarks.....any ideas?

I've never had little pingy noises - was that an IE thing? I haven't had IE for so long now - I wouldn't know...

I guess the best place to look is in the control panel (START>CONTROL PANEL>SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES) on the sounds tab you can set sounds for events in a selection of different programs..

Also I did not make it my dafault browser (& probably should have),so how can I rectify that now?

It will probably ask you again sometime soon! Or you could force it to by opening Firefox.. TOOLS>OPTIONS>MAIN

at the bottom of the box there should be a tickbox which says "always check to see if firefox is the default browser"

tick that box (if it isn't already ticked) and then tick the "Check Now" button - then it will ask if you want to have Firefox as your default browser.. (say yes!)

good luck!!

Phil

One more question - Firefox does not save any searches I tap in to Google or eBay (which is a very useful feature).

Any ideas on if I can set it up to do this?

I haven't ever come across this - that's not to say Firefox won't do it - so could you explain a bit more what you mean?

what did IE actually do to achieve this? was it like the "history" tab or was it like the autocomplete tab? - or something else altogether??

it sounds like a useful feature - but I can't imagine how it would work..

was it a google toolbar that you installed into IE - like an add-on?? If it was then you can add-on the same google toolbar for firefox here:

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/index.html?utm_source=en-et-labs&utm_medium=et&utm_campaign=en

there's a similar ebay toolbar here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/eBay-Toolbar.shtml

it just depends how many toolbars you want cluttering your screen! you can, of course, turn them on and off through the VIEW>TOOLBARS menu...

Phil

Edited by Guest

:?:?:?:?:?

when we had Firefox, it did save the searches, along with usernames, so that you just typed in the first letter of the word, and they all popped up.

We're back on IE, and that doesn;t, so I guess there must be a setting somewhere that you need to find.

No,it wasn't an add-on, but I will check the Firefox add-ons to see if it is there.

Basically,when I double clicked on the Google or Ebay search bars,a whole list of everything ever searched for by us comes up & we can hilight which one we want.

Or if you begin to type,the list is reduced to things starting with the same letter.

It is useful,especially on Ebay as I forget sometimes the things I have been meaning to buy :roll:

The Google one is good too for keeping an eye on what the children are searching for.................................

No,it wasn't an add-on, but I will check the Firefox add-ons to see if it is there.

Basically,when I double clicked on the Google or Ebay search bars,a whole list of everything ever searched for by us comes up & we can hilight which one we want.

Or if you begin to type,the list is reduced to things starting with the same letter.

It is useful,especially on Ebay as I forget sometimes the things I have been meaning to buy :roll:

The Google one is good too for keeping an eye on what the children are searching for.................................

that's what puzzles me - google and ebay are not integral parts of Internet Explorer - they are not part of the original IE download - so it suggests to me that somehow whether knowingly or not you have added google searchbar and ebay search bars that have those functions....

try out the ones I have linked and see if they do the job..

Phil

I think it is something that IE just does,Phil.

I never use search on the toolbar,but through the site,& when I had to do a recovery a while ago,I remember having to tweak the setting to make it "remember" all the searches again.

I am downloading the Google one now,so I am sure that will do the job nicely :P

I think it is something that IE just does,Phil.

I never use search on the toolbar,but through the site,& when I had to do a recovery a while ago,I remember having to tweak the setting to make it "remember" all the searches again.

I am downloading the Google one now,so I am sure that will do the job nicely :P

OK - in that case it sounds like something ebay does - probably stored in a cookie (that's how Amazon remembers what you have bought recently - it stores it in a cookie and the amazon site reads it whenever you visit Amazon) that shouldn't depend on what browser you are using.

if you have a crash and have to do a recovery - you lose all your cookies!

I think Firefox allows cookies by default.

anyway, I hope the toolbars do the same thing - meanwhile, I'll think about it some more!

Phil

While you are in a thinking mood,are there any other add-ons you can recommend?

Or a nice theme???? 8)

oops - missed this question!!

I don't use too many add-ons - I like an uncluttered toolbar! But I would recommend the Del.icio.us bookmark system add-on - it will change the way you think of bookmarks - it's great!

you can get it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/bookmarks/

Phil

While you are in a thinking mood,are there any other add-ons you can recommend?

Or a nice theme???? 8)

oops - missed this question!!

I don't use too many add-ons - I like an uncluttered toolbar! But I would recommend the Del.icio.us bookmark system add-on - it will change the way you think of bookmarks - it's great!

you can get it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/bookmarks/

Phil

actually - I take that back now!! I had an older version - I've just downloaded the new version and it's manked up all my bookmarks! The beauty of it is that you can access your bookmarks from any computer - because it also lists them online..

but... it takes quite a bit of getting used to

the other add-on that I have is a really good one called VideoDownloader - which extracts video from sites like YouTube and downloads them onto your machine... at the click of a button...

8)

Phil

Honestly you could have it installed and running in ten minutes at most.

I'd recommend running it alongside IE - then you still have the security/familiarity of an old friend and you don't feel you've made such a giant leap...

no need to wait until over christmas.. 8)

Phil

I only got to page 2 of this thread and downloaded Firefox from Phil and Jackie's recommendations.

It took 3 whole minutes and I love it immediatly. I can't believe how quickly my pages and icons download. G0ing to have a little play with it, but first impressions are FABAROONI!!

I've left IE on my PC, so I have it there too, but I really don't think I'm going back there.

Will read the remainder of this thread in a bit incase I've missed some other gems I didn't know about. Thanks guys x

Thanks for that,Phil.

I like the sound of the video downloader,& may give it a go at the weekend.

I am liking Firefox too, although the rest of the family don't like it one bit :?

I reckon thats because I have used it a lot & am used to it now,whereas they are only on the computer for short periods of time & have not had a chance to get their heads around it yet.

We need to keep IE anyway,as the School network will only run on that,but I am really chuffed with Firefox :P

One thing surprised me though.....when I typed in my password to get on this site, instead of asterisks, I could read it.

Eglutine....that happens to me in IE regularly, and the Omlet site is the only site that does it too. All of the other password protected sites I use have the stars.

I'll have to give it a go in firefox and see what happens. I think it might be a site blip rather than a pc/brower one to be honest.

there's a similar ebay toolbar here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/eBay-Toolbar.shtml

Phil

Phil - when I download this ebay toolbar - it just puts it in IE, rather than firefox. It's not listed in View / Toolbars..

What am I doing wrong :?::roll:

Very annoyed I can;t work this out myself.... :wall:

it might be my fault rather than yours! It may be that it hasn't been fully developed for Firefox yet.

there's another way to install it in irefox..

go here https://firefox.codebase.ebay.com/

and open the link indicated in firefox - and the toolbar as they have so far developed it will be installed in Firefox.

there will be updates to come - so it wouldn't be a bad idea to subscribe yourself to their update notification email...

Phil