Egluntyne

Internet Explorer 7

tell him it's less susceptible to virus's and it's faster (and better) - and most people "in the know" prefer it (blokes respond to that kind of language!)

to paraphrase...

Firefox is the canine creature's dangly bits...

(check out the "tabs" feature - worth the change on their own)

You can have them both at the same time and run them in parallel to see which you prefer - no need to pick one or the other until he has discovered for himself how awesome Firefox is!)

There's an independent experts comparison of IE7 and Firefox2 here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-1.html%20for%20IE7%20and%20FF2.0

Phil

PS Firefox has a cute logo too:

firefox.png

Right...thanks.

I was wondering about running them both together....will try that.

There is no point telling Himself about its superior attributes....he runs about shouting "bring back the quill pen"" when anyone mentions emailing.

Hopeless.

You are right about the logo...it's very clever.

From the Microsoft support site:

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 to return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP

1. Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."

2. Click "Add or Remove Programs."

3. Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box.

4. Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 that you are running, and then click "Change/Remove." (If you are running Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview — March 20 or later, it is not necessary to check "Show Updates.")

Phil

Might give it a go myself :P

I just like the logo - superficial I know,but there you go :lol:

you'll soon be able to buy jibbitz with the logo on for use with your *MHS's

Phil

* - Mental Hospital Shoes - respect to &Paul for that description - they are forever called this from now on in our house!

When you first install Firefox, it will import your existing Internet Explorer settings, including your Favourites, cookies, stored passwords, and a variety of other data.

in Firefox, "Favourites" are called "Bookmarks"

Phil

Honestly you could have it installed and running in ten minutes at most.

I'd recommend running it alongside IE - then you still have the security/familiarity of an old friend and you don't feel you've made such a giant leap...

no need to wait until over christmas.. 8)

Phil

I can't think about it at the moment - my desk at home is covered in dust and rubble, my four port USB hub has gone up the spout and my brain has overloaded. I promise to try it sometime. One last question though... my IE is 'provided' by Wanadoo/Orange, my imternet provider and it helpfully provides an icon on my systray, will this just be replaced by a firefox one?

My PC had a rebuild a couple of weeks ago and helpfully came back with IE7! :roll:

Have a long row of buttons at the top and haven't a clue what any of them do!! I like that it lets you have several sites running at once with the new tab tops though. Does anyone know if firefox does this? :D

when you first turn Firefox on it will say something like:

"Firefox is not your default browser - do you want to make it your default browser?"

you should say yes!! - then all your Internet links will change their icons from IE to Firefox - and they will open in Firefox (including that one!)

but don't worry - you'll still have IE - whether you like it or not - it's embedded into Windows (that's one of the reasons they were fighting that big court case!)

it is possible to get rid of it - there is a removal tool - but unless you're very short of space - there's no need to get rid of it - just don't use it!!

(It's worth keeping because occasionally you will find a webpage that has been badly designed and only works properly on IE - these are getting rarer, but they are still out there...)

another important thing to know... Windows Update does not work in Firefox - however, if you go here: http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ then you can update Windows as you normally would using your Firefox browser.

good luck! (I'm no expert, but I'm always happy to try to answer any questions)

Phil