hillfamily

Advice needed...questions to ask when viewing a puppy

Makes my eyes prickly every time I read it too.

Sha is right about controlling the amount of exercise when they are young.The same applies to lurchers, but try telling that to a saluki cross who loves nothing more than racing veeerrryy faaaaasssst in huge circles with a massive grin on her face!

You should see her and Moochoos lurcher when they get going. :lol: 'tis a joy to behold

Think of all that exercise you'll get Pam; loads of lovely long walks.

That's one of the bits I'm looking forward to the most :D :D The beach is at the end of the road and within 10/15 mins drive I can be in the heart of the countryside :D :D

Pam, be careful about overwalking the tiddler, labs are notorious for leg & hip problems,

Don't worry Sha...walks will be gentle to start with...if not for the pup, then me :wink:

fantastic swimming pool for pooches near us, my 3 love it, started out as hydrotherapy for the big girls with their ops, and is now a fortnightly treat!!

Sha x

I'll have to get the details from you :D

Definately ask for hip scores. Check for nice clean ears & eyes, check for an innie not outie belly button, teeth meeting properly not 1 jaw lying significantly over or under the other. I had a friend that I told to do this and unfortunately she is a friend that asks for advice, never takes it and then wants me to sort out the disaster. Her puppy had NO teeth until nearly 7 months old (very weird), large hernia, needed surgery on both ears and on inturned eyelids :wall:

Crikey CM, what breed was that then :shock: ...it never occurred to me to check a pup has teeth, aligned or otherwise.......they are usually attached to your hand quite quickly after introductions!!!

My lab Poppy had "luxating patella" on both back legs before she was even a year old & both have successfully been operated on, I wouldn't have been able to tell this was a potential problem at puppy stage would I...I had kept her fairly quiet too as recommended for Labradors.......short walks, not too much running around the garden...as a result I have a large chocolate slug :roll: who we adore & forgive her almost anything (except eating all the chicken food & depositing it on my carpets :vom: )

**sorry for hijacking your thread Pam, any advice may help you with Sam though :D **

Sha x