Cinnamon

Small claims help please

We bought an outboard motor on eBay back in September, & when we recieved it,it was faulty,so it was returned to the seller who was going to fix or replace it.

This is now weeks ago, & we still have not had it back :?

We have had promises of it being soon,next week,tomorrow & so forth - you wouldn't believe the amount of times I have waited in for it :roll:

I have asked eBay for the sellers phone number,which is incorrect,so I cannot contact him that way either (this has been reported to eBay)

Its now been so long that I cannot make a Paypal claim or leave feedback for him, & he has no answered mt emails for the last few weeks, so I am thinking of taking him to small claims to get my money back (£350 - not a small amount!)

Has anyone got any experience of this or can anyone give me some advice as to the best way to go about doing this?

OH has experience of this and says that after winning in the small claims that you have to get in the queue behind all of the other people that people like this owe money to. If they haven't got any money, which these people never have, you wont see a penny. OH says that he wouldn't bother unless amount owing is over £1000. He says that if you are taking a crook to court you are going to loose. These people know how to work the system. What about drafting a decent letter and sending it by Special Delivery so that you know that they have received it threatening court action and saying that you will be making a formal complaint to eBay to have them removed as a seller.

Thanks both.

The letter is in hand - I have already sent them an email (both to their address & via eBay) saying that if I am not refunded bt Wednesday,then I will be taking court action.

They have really ggod eBay feedback, & are still trading so I am not sure if they are crooks as such,or just mucking me about a lot :?

We just did it with O2 who refused the do anything about Chris' faulty phone despite ConsumerDirect and our local Trading Standards telling us that it was up to O2 to fix it.

We used the MoneyClaim website and, upon receupt of the court documents, O2 rang us to say that, whilst they completely repudiated our claim, they were prepared to offer us the amount claimed as a gesture of goodwill :-)

Admittedly, this was a much bigger company but I say go for it and good luck!

Rpb

Good for you Sarah, are you planning to copy the letter to the seller? I would as it might put the wind up him and hopefully make him sort it out quickly.

The CCJ against him doesn't actually force him to pay up - he can ignore the judgement and refuse to pay, in which case, you need to go back to court to get a reinforcing order, which is when they will send the bailliffs in! This would show on his credit records and he would find it hard to get any credit.

If you win, he will need to pay what he owes you, plus any interest on that amount, plus your court expenses.

Just had another email saying that he is sending it out today (3 weeks late).

I have replied telling him not to, & that if it does arrive we will refuse to accept delivery of it.

Thanks for that info Clare.I have copies of everything - letters,emails,payment reciepts,the lot :P

Sort of :?

I have given him til the end of the month to refund me & have agreed with him that he can sell it on in the meantime to get the funds together.

I have stipulated both by email & recorded delivery post that only a full refund is acceptable & he will have to make up any shortfall from any sale he makes.

We shall see how this pans out I guess.