Aunty e

Anyone want a cockerel?

:(

Spitalfields and Hackney City Farm, both having originally said yes to taking Chick, are now humming and ha-ing, and the little wretch has started crowing. He's incredibly pretty, but bossy and crows. And the neighbours are complaining. Anyone? I know it's unlikely, but one of you might suddenly have decided you needed a small blonde cockerel. :roll:

It is a blow, I was really hopeful for a while, but even I can't deny the crowing means he really is a boy. He's terrorising the pekins and causing all sorts of tensions in the flock as well, so he really does have to go. Next time I'm hatching something auto-sexing. I think Spitalfields might take him as they have very few birds at the moment. But I've got this vague recollection that last time I was there they had all of the birds locked up because of 'bird flu'. Pah, I thought and wandered off muttering to myself about scare-mongering. I'll take a pretty picture of him tomorrow.

Hurrah, all is well. Hackney City Farm will take him and if they decide not to keep him with them, they'll send him down to the dairy farm in Kent where all of their spare boys go to, they have four cockerels about chick's age, so he'll have some competition (which will do him good). I'll get him to say his goodbyes now then....

Chick has gone. It was quite sad as he let me have a little cuddle for the first time in ages when I boxed him up. It looks like they might keep him there though, in which case I can go and play with him (translation: coo and reminisce about how cute he was as he pecks my ankles).

I'm now in a bit of a dilemma, as Chick terrorised the ladies so much, they wouldn't sleep in the same run as him (apart from Kitty, who's easy) and they've gotten used to all sleeping in the eglu together. I let this slide, thinking that things would get back to normal once he was gone, but so far it remains the same, nine chickens in one eglu. If the Mark3 would hurry up and come out, I wouldn't mind so much, but right now I think I'm on the verge of battery farming. They won't even go in the other coop and run. :roll:

I have swapped them over when sleepy, but when I did it originally, they got the idea where they slept and started trooping off to bed in the right place all by themselves. Now, they won't do that. Stoopid chick. I may start bribing them with sweetcorn, but the little wretches can be quite vicious over the chicken crack.

Oh come on the Mark 3.