jonesyboy27

Layers Mash

Like Martin said some chickens make a mess when eating it. They peck out the best bits first :roll: However my chickens love it !

You could try putting a shallow tray underneath the feeder to catch any spilt food. The mash will start to smell very bad if it gets wet. Sometimes I remove the feeder late afternoon and my chicken tend to eat some of the spilt food from the ground.

Layers mash can be served dry or made into a warm porridge using warm water. The mash porridge will be appreciated on a cold Winters morning. My chickens get the dry mash in the grub feeder and the porridge is put in a plastic cat bowl (red of course to match the Eglu :D )

You can make the porridge using pellets. Soak in hot water for about 10 minutes mix and let it cool before serving (a good way to use up the pellets)

Try getting a galvanised trough feeder - I got one when my chicks were on chick crumbs - it stopped them scattering it all over the place as it has a lip on it.

Just done a quick search - mine looks a bit like this one

69_2.JPG but without the rungs on the top. It's importnat to get one with a lip on the top edge so that they can't scatter the feed out. I think that mine cost about £5 from the local feed store.

HI

Thanks for your advice,arn't chickens contary I locked the girls in the run for 3 days with just pellets and they've emptied the peanut :lol::lol: .Mind you I let them out today they have repaid me by scoffing my home grown spinach (was for Sunday lunch) :twisted:

Looks like layer pellets for lunch. :wink:

I bought a bag of mash from scats which the chooks munched much more than the pellets. After finishing that bag of mash i thought i would try another brand from SPR. They like it a lot better, they really enjoy it. I didn't think there could be that much difference cos it looks exactly the same but they know the difference :roll:

Have chickens got taste buds cos they certainly know what they like and don't like :?