TheChookKeeper

Omlet response times...

Hello,

Anyone know if Omlet are being particularly slow in responding to e-mails at the moment?

I sent them a list of questions on their Beehaus a couple of weeks ago, and have had nothing back - just a bit concerned the e-mail didn't get there, and I'm waiting around for a response that will never come!

I just sent it to info@omlet.co.uk - is this right?

Thanks!

:D Hi Steve, Yes, I believe the email does get clogged up.

Due to Omlet being inundated at times, I think it's the cyber equivalent of my own "leaning tower of Pisa" paperwork in-trays and "to do" list as long as your arm. :oops: (I don't work for Omlet)

Much as I personally prefer email, I'd definitely recommend a quick phone call to their sales office, perhaps also pointing out about your email. Good luck! :D

I was considering phoning - but I always forget to ask important things when I phone... e-mail is so much easier!

Maybe I'll leave it until the weekend, and then phone... give myself some time to write a list of things I need to ask!

Thanks!

Yes, good idea to make a list of points before making a phone call, I always forget the thing I phoned about otherwise! :)

However, Omlet's office is closed at weekends.

I sent them a list of questions on their Beehaus a couple of weeks ago, and have had nothing back -

Thanks!

Are these questions you could post on an open forum?

There are quite a few people on here that now have the beehaus that may be able to help if it is a general question?

I was considering phoning - but I always forget to ask important things when I phone... e-mail is so much easier!

Maybe I'll leave it until the weekend, and then phone... give myself some time to write a list of things I need to ask!

Thanks!

Yes, good idea to make a list of points before making a phone call, I always forget the thing I phoned about otherwise! :)

However, Omlet's office is closed at weekends.

I always do the same, make a list of bullet points before ringing anywhere as I usually forget.

If you ring them they are very friendly and helpful TheChookKeeper. :D

It might be better if you sent it to one person - but I know they are all busy :)

You could open up the email and then phone so you remember whats in it, then jot down what they say, because if you're like me I put the phone down and forget the answer to the first question! :lol:

Are these questions you could post on an open forum?

Good idea! I've take a couple out, that I figure only Omlet can answer (e.g. delivery times, availability etc.) - but the rest is here - if anyone knows the answers (or indeed any of them), I'd be very appreciative!

• In your starter kit, could you give me some more detail of the beesuit that you supply? I am mainly interested in the hat – is it one that holds the netting away from your face all the way around, and right down to the neck – i.e. – does it have a “support ring” near the bottom of the face – or does it go straight from the “hat” down into the top of the suit? (sorry if that doesn’t make much sense!)

• I’m a little bit confused about the supply of bees – your website says that Omlet would arrange for me to collect a nucleus locally – but one of your newsletters made it sound more like Omlet would deliver the bees (as they did with my chooks). Can you clarify?

Also, can you tell me how much they would cost in my area? My post code is ********.

• Can you also clear up a question I have on feeding of my proposed colony? I understand it may be necessary to feed them through Winter, or if there are any problems – if this is the case, how would I go about feeding the bees in the Beehaus? In a more “traditional” hive, I would be able to put something in the crown board – but I can’t see anywhere to put it in a beehaus? I would be apprehensive about putting any food outside the hive, for fear of what else I would attract (namely chickens!!!).

Sorry – after a quick re-read, I see that your website says the clearer board can be used to feed supplies – can you explain how?

Thanks everyone!!!

Edited by Guest

Chookkeeper in answer to your questions

1 The suit they provide in the kit is a very good one. The veil (hat) is kept fully away from the face.

2 I personally know one of the suppliers of bees, but he will not be posting them. My personal opinion is bees should not be posted, this also back up that you are best getting you bees locally.

3 The beehaus does have a crown board with a hole in so you can put a feeder on top and inside an empty supers so it is all not accessible from external to the hive.

What you do is remove the bee escape which leaves you a crown board with a hole in, these are in addition to the solid crown boards you get.

Thanks v8landy, :D

My Dad was a beekeeper for years and years when I was little - but obviously he doesn't know about how the BeeHaus works!

On the subject of the feeder - does this mean that if you wish to feed the bees during the winter, you have to leave 4 empty supers attached? Doesn't the hive get a bit chilly like that, as it is "batterned down" like it would be without supers?

Also - another question I've just come up with (!!!), on the supers - my Dad was interested as to whether you can have more than 4 on there at a time? Can you stack them 2 high? Therefore allowing 8 on there at a time.

He didn't seem very impressed that you could only get the equivalent of 1 super per side on it otherwise :?

Apart from the odd question like that - he seems to think it's quite a good idea. I went to an excellent lecture on the anatomy of the honeybee a few weeks ago, arranged by the Kent beekeepers association, and took my Dad with me - he asked the speaker what his thoughts were on plastic hives... after a little hesitation, he said that they were growing in popularity, mainly because "some company somewhere" has developed a new one, in a range of colours!

The upshot of what he said was simply that they will probably be absolutely fine, but he wouldn't be rushing out to buy one just yet (no pitch forks or flaming torches from the crowd... so they aren't THAT anti around me!)

Thanks again.

Yes you would need to leave 4 empty supers on to give you the lift to put a feeder in one of them, but I do not see an issue with the hive being cold and the crown board are all double skined and therofre more insualted.

You can put as many supers on as hight as you can work on them, the only down side is if you just have bees in one half of the hive, you can not just have supers on one side or the roof will tip off, so you need to run it as a layers, or minium of 3 supers with the end ones as just support for the roof.

A bit of a waste of supers, and I am sure a simple fix (i.e a bit of wood) could be used as a prop or dumby super.