laurmurf

ingrown feather - treatment?

Evey has a cyst formed round an ingrown feather on her bald shoulder point. It isn't red or sore and doesn't look infected at all but it could get so. I wonder if it should be treated at all, and if so is this something that i could do or would I have to get a vet to see to it?

Evey is also due to enter the Northern Poultry Show in a fortnight and i think it would go against her to have a big bobble on her shoulder!

for you, Lewis, a photo will be posted!

I did google this and apparently they're called 'feather cysts' and happen quite a lot in parrots and canaries. I don't know if i would have noticed this particular bobble if it hadn't been on Evey's bald shoulder point.

as promised, this is for Lewis:

Feather cyst

P1000080.jpg

and it's position on her 'shoulder point', which is bald in a malay

P1000079.jpg

Evey was at the vet today having it removed, having seen the vet with her scalpel to get it out I know I couldn't have done that myself. Evey never even flinched when she opened it up :shock: . There was lots of feather material in there and a bit of gunk, but despite her best efforts and many different sized of forceps, she couldn't get the base and quill out. We're to bathe the wound in warm salt water, keep it open and dry and with a bit of luck we'll be able to get the tweezers to it ourselves.

Sadly, Lewis, I didn't create a photo-document of the removal, but it was fascinating!

The vet was lovely and was clearly intrigued by Evey's beauty and the whole 'fancy' thing. Must make such an interesting change from pups and pusses.

Wow :shock: , that is sooooooo cool. I love the gruesome and gunky as you well know lol. And because of this thread OH finally let me look at the screen for a couple of minutes as he couldn't read it without :vom: .

Poor old Evey, I bet she was a right sweetheart at the vets, hope you get the rest out ok