Abbey Road Girl

do chickens have dandruff?

When cleaning out the poo tray the other day I noticed some small white flakes. I was afraid it might be from scales on their legs, but looked them over and don't see any signs of that.

What I did notice is that Sweetie seems to be going semi-bald and what feathers there are on the top and back of her head seem odd. Had to describe--the best I can do is to say that the feathering looked s"Ooops, word censored!"ed or even nibbled. No sign of any sort of infestation, though.

While the others have all moulted in the past (and present :roll: ), she has hardly ever looked other than perfectly feathered.

I am quite concerned, especially as her comb is less red than the others, though they all seem to redden up once they are free ranging.

Sweetie is otherwise normal, which for her is being a bit timid, though she is a very big girl.

Anybody here had experience of this sort of thing?

The dandruff is the covering of new feathers coming through. My poo tray looks like a snowstorm at times :D I expect that is why some of her feathers look odd at the moment and their comb does go pale when growing new feathers. I expect you saw it in the others but perhaps its more noticeable because she's perfect :wink::D