chelsea

New rabbit/indoor rabbits *update!*

We've been thinking for a while that we would like to add a rabbit or two to the household. :)

Ideally we would love to keep them indoors, although we do have the empty eglu outside. Do you think rabbits would ok indoors during Autumn/Winter and then be outside during the milder Spring/Summer months?

We have seen a couple of lionhead/cross bunnies at a local rescue centre, I have read it's better for both sexes to have them nuetered, do we insist that the centre does this if not already done so?

What's the best combination?

Any tips, advice or do's or don'ts very much appreciated. :D

Hiya

most rescues will already have the animals neutered, unless they are too young; then you have to sign an agreement you will get them "done" when they are old enough. Most rescues will also pay for this to be done so there's no excuse! :P

Rabbits are very hardy and will thrive in the great outdoors, if they're being kept indoors its best to get a natural lightbulb (like you can get for reptiles) to ensure they are getting the vital nutrients from natural light. I've learned that we all need natural light to be able to activate certain enzymes which help us to process toxins and nasties which are inevitable in commercial processed food (its good for us too!)

Two is good as buns love company, and they can be littertrained which makes living indoors much nicer; just be sure to get any wires at least 2 foot off the floor and say goodbye to skirting boards :P

I can't stress enough to make sure they get vacinnated regularly for mixy/vhd if they will be going outside so they don't catch anything from the local bunny population

sorry for the long post! :D

No need to apologise! Thanks for all the great advice :D

We have decided on 2, and will be looking to get them in March so have plenty of time for research and preparation.

No worries on the jabs/innoculations front - we're always down the vets with all our animals for some reason or another, they're better looked after than us humans! :lol:

Hi chelsea,

My 2 bunnies are semi-indoor/ outdoor bunnies! They stay outside in the eglu in the summer, but inside at the moment with us!! Its just we can't spend that much time with them if they are outside in the winter, so we are keeping inside right now!

They still get to spend time outside in winter - usually at weekend, and they just free range round the garden and eat some grass and dig a lot!!! But I think they get quite cold. One of them actually hop back inside after a little while and the other just hide underneath the garden table which is covered with tarpaulin.

I think as long as your bunnies get to hop / run around either inside / outside everyday, they should be fine regardless of where they live! In my opinion, the standard eglu run isn't quite big enough for them to really enjoy running, so even if you keep them in the eglu in the summer, they will love it if you let them out once in a while!!!!

Hi chelsea,

My 2 bunnies are semi-indoor/ outdoor bunnies! They stay outside in the eglu in the summer, but inside at the moment with us!!

They still get to spend time outside in winter - usually at weekend, and they just free range round the garden and eat some grass and dig a lot!!!

That sounds like a perfect set up and just the same as what we were looking at doing :D and I am happy that your bunnies are comfortable with this as I now know that what we had planned will work. Thankyou so much. :wink:

Hello,

Yeah my bunnies seem to be quite happy with the set up!

We did find that when they are inside all the time (i.e. now), we have to careful about house plants and wires. My bunnies eat all sort of house plants so we had to move them all upstairs, and one of them like to attack wires too (this has cost us quite a bit of money!! :doh: ).

Luckily, they dont go upstairs, and dont chew wall/ furniture, so once the house plants are gone and wires protected, they are allowed to free range inside the house! :dance:

Hi

I have two house buns who have access to most of my house they have their own house for when I am out. CIMG2160-2.jpg

They do chew cables because they are similar to roots underground Mine are wrapped in either hose pipe or cable tidies. As long as you dont mind things being a bit chewed its ok, like skirting bords, door frames and the edges of the chimney breast is a favourite of Macs. Mine are both litter trained and use a cat litter tray. House plants as long as they are not at floor level are fine. If you have any questions just ask there are a lot of people here with house buns that most things have been experienced.

This website is useful

http://goldenbunnies.org.uk/

We need to see photos if you have picked your buns.

Jen x

Can't believe what has happened!

Some of you may already know from Facebook, but OH was out walking the dog at 6am on Monday and found a little lop rabbit on the grass verge. Poor thing was freezing cold and hardly moving, we put him under the heat lamp in the garage and took him to the vets.

Vets said it was touch and go whether bunny would survive as severely dehydrated and suffering from hypothermia.

They've rung today and bunny has pulled through :dance:

We are going to have it home with us :D , vet has taken our details incase someone claims him and we live near to where the rabbit was found so will keep an eye out for any "lost" posters.

So we have our very own bunny of fate. :D