welshnik Posted January 16, 2010 Share Posted January 16, 2010 Yaaaaaaaaay! I googled "poultry" in my area last week to find a new(ish) seller only 3 miles from me - http://www.layalileggforme.co.uk and Debbie is lovely and we got ourselves 2 Warrens - as yet unnamed - and a Rhode Rock called Houdini, so named as she threatened to jump when we went to collect her. Houdini and Easter are now mine and my hubby has Christmas and the as yet unnamed Marans..... A bit of squirting later and they all seem to be getting on ok so far, although Easter thinks she is the boss and needed the majority of the squirting. The are so tame it's unbelievable, as and can sometimes be an unruly, wild pair!! welshnik Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted January 16, 2010 Share Posted January 16, 2010 Have you been squirting them with a water pistol to stop them pecking each other ? Maybe I should give that a try too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted January 16, 2010 Share Posted January 16, 2010 Congratulations, They sound like they are all going to along just fine. i take it the photos will be coming soon? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 16, 2010 Share Posted January 16, 2010 Congrats Nic I had seen her pop up as a breeder recently, so wondered what she was like Ok, now where are the photos Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welshnik Posted January 17, 2010 Author Share Posted January 17, 2010 Hi everyone Ooooh the squirting does work- I'm using a houseplant water gun - the Black Rock is a little bully and has never been so drenched in her life!! I've found the trick is to watch her and you can tell when she's going to go for one of the other ones, so the second she does, she gets drowned- and storms off in a huff. Sadly our introductions had to be a little more rushed than usual, for various reasons, so they're now in the together but we've given them lots of things to play with at different heights (including sacrificing my IKEA shoe rack), so jumped out of the way once when I squirted . It's strange that and aren't getting along as surely the same (sort of) breed should get along ok? and seem to be a bit of a team so at the moment we have and against and and then . Hubby is out for 2 hours so I've decided to freerange and (our original two) to give and a chance to chillax a bit! I'm happy that they'll be fine as over Christmas, and had to join their auntie's flock for a week and they were fine after a day. and are happy enough freeranging and so I think I'll leave them there until hubby gets home as it was his idea to get more so he can be on peck-watch!!!!! I'll take some photos when all three new girls are out in the run - at the moment one cowardly is hiding in the nesting box!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted January 17, 2010 Share Posted January 17, 2010 Aww so lovely! Can't wait to see photos! The two black rocks could be challenging each other and sorting out their own order before putting the others in their places! My BR is definitely head honcho and makes sure that everyone knows it with occasional, carefully aimed reminders! She's clever and crafty too. I don't know what I'd do if I had two like that! Good to hear that the squirter works! Might have to give it a try - I've been avoiding it in the cold weather. Have fun with the FR! And hope they settle soon PS And you do know that it's illegal to NOT post photos of your chooks, don't you? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welshnik Posted January 17, 2010 Author Share Posted January 17, 2010 Well, I shouldn't become an Omlet offender .... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welshnik Posted January 17, 2010 Author Share Posted January 17, 2010 Aaaaaaaagh! Easter is SUCH a bully!! She's just been spotted chasing the around to peck at them!! She's just been drenched, again!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 17, 2010 Share Posted January 17, 2010 They are lovely Nic Give Easter time and she'll come around, if it gets out of hand though, let me know as I am only down the road with bumper bits Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Shirl Posted January 17, 2010 Share Posted January 17, 2010 They are lovely. Congratulations. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
welshnik Posted January 17, 2010 Author Share Posted January 17, 2010 Haha thanks hon - might take you up on that offer if she doesn't calm down!! My hubby wanted to make her our dinner but I told him to give her a couple of days Hubby is now on peck watch, so Easter got drowned again. Think she is getting the message though - it helps that we have always used water as a deterrent!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...