Charlottechicken

Problem with Ecover

One of my neighbours has just given me a new bottle of Ecover washing up liquid, as she read the ingredients after she bought it and found it contains whey. She is allergic to milk and milk products. Does anyone know of an alternative product she could use? I have a bottle of the Tesco Naturally washing up liquid, but just checked the ingredients on www.detergentinfo.com and found it contains sodium laureth sulfates (aren't they bad?) and she wants to be 'green' so I can't give her that. Any suggestions?

I gave her some energy saving lightbulbs in exchange :D but would like to give her a green solution to the problem.

I do washing up in cold water, and only use hot when the item is greasy. No-ones been poisoned in 8 years in this house. A bit of bicarb on the crusty stuff, and for soaking the really burnt bits, and vinegar to cut through the greasy things. I do it in two sinkfuls, but the water use (as a resource) is surely better than masses of soapy hot water (as resources)

I do washing up in cold water, and only use hot when the item is greasy. No-ones been poisoned in 8 years in this house. A bit of bicarb on the crusty stuff, and for soaking the really burnt bits, and vinegar to cut through the greasy things. I do it in two sinkfuls, but the water use (as a resource) is surely better than masses of soapy hot water (as resources)

That is interesting, Happymama, just water and nothing else? I have just switched to ecover washing up liquid myself and find I use less of it than ordinary washing up liquid :shock: half a squirt rather than a full one! My neighbour is a student, and on a tight budget so I will ask if she has tried the rinse only approach!

Can you use soapnuts on dishes, does anyone know?

Any other alternative washing up solutions out there?