Doodledootoo

What's the quietest breed, do you reckon?

Daisy our Lavender Araucana is the loudest of my three chooks (the other 2 being a Welsummers) and that's only when she is laying or being pestered by our puppy.

The Welsummers are so very quiet (even when puppy wants to play chase) I often have to go and check alls-well.

My neighbours didn't know I had chickens until I told them, and then they asked if they were real :lol:

Well, I only have my three Omlet chickens, and they are all different.

Megan - Gingernut Ranger - is probably the loudest with a traditional Bwaaark-Bok! whenever she sees me, wants to be let out, or is concerned about anything. Doesn't announce her egg. However it isn't very loud on a normal noise scale. Our neighbour can't hear them, and they are quieter than his cockatiel.

Gwennie - Gingernut Ranger - doesn't go Bok, but a little, quiet, apologetic "Boo-Boo", rather low pitched. You'd be challenged to hear her more than a few yards away. However she does do frequent and noisy explorations of the shed, with much crashing and banging as she knocks things off the shelves onto the floor!

Blodwyn - Pepperpot - High-pitched, soprano, very strident Bwaaaaaaaark, particularly when she wants to be let out or when she has laid an egg. She is the only one who "announces" her eggs. She also makes a soft little clucking noise when she is in the nest box doing her thing. It is quite sweet.

Honestly with all three Bwaarking together, it really isn't loud. They are pretty quiet hens. The only time they get noisy is when we are going out and have to leave them in their run instead of FR - then they let us know they aren't pleased.

Mmmm, let me see, I would not say that Orpies are quiet, especially if they think they should be getting more attention than they are............likewise the Pekins, small in stature enormous in attitude, much higher pitched than the big girls & thoroughly adorable..........hybrids (batties, amber star, bluebelle, goldline, black rock) are all little chatter boxes when they want to be, now they are all settled as a flock we don't have too much hullerballoo unless they are distressed by something (next doors wretched cats!!) or they are up & haven't been let out or are going to bed & someone has gone in ahead of her place in the lineup...WW3 breaks out then! Most of the day they chunter to me if I'm out with them & mutter to themselves in the WIR if I'm not.

We used to have an egg laying chorus, where one would start it & the others would pass it on..............for a good 10 minutes....all for one egg........I have a short video if you'd like me to post it again, beware husbands & dogs tend to react in amusing fashions when they hear it! Fortunately they don't do that anymore!!

Sha x

Maran - BOKBOKBOK whenever someone else is in the nestbox, or a squirrel, or a pigeon. She sets everyone off. She used to just go a nasally hawhehawhehaw (which we assumed was the French in her) but just recently she's discovered a voice.

:lol::lol::lol:

RESULTS SO FAR:-

Well, it seems to me then that breed has nowt to do with it and, as someone else said, it's down to the personality of each chicken.

One common theme seems to have emerged from this thread though - if you need quite chickens because you have neighbours, then start as you mean to go on and keep them in the run from day one. It seems as if a lot of you have noisy girls, shouting to be let out. If they've never been out (and you have a good sized run to allow you to do this), then keep them in!

Any views on my assessment?

My two hybrids (blackrock & bluebelle) never make a sound. The light sussex makes an 'I laid an egg' noise, but for anyones eggs, not just her own, my Dorking & Cream Legbar are silent, but the Barnvelder can also do a bit of noise after laying an egg.

Tracy

Maran - BOKBOKBOK whenever someone else is in the nestbox, or a squirrel, or a pigeon. She sets everyone off. She used to just go a nasally hawhehawhehaw (which we assumed was the French in her) but just recently she's discovered a voice.

:lol::lol::lol:

RESULTS SO FAR:-

Well, it seems to me then that breed has nowt to do with it and, as someone else said, it's down to the personality of each chicken.

One common theme seems to have emerged from this thread though - if you need quite chickens because you have neighbours, then start as you mean to go on and keep them in the run from day one. It seems as if a lot of you have noisy girls, shouting to be let out. If they've never been out (and you have a good sized run to allow you to do this), then keep them in!

Any views on my assessment?

My view on your assessment, sounds great in theory.... however..... chickens are very very very talented at training humans :wink:

A good read on the subject link attached. I have this book and so many of the things in it are SOOOO true :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Ways-Chicken-Train-Human/dp/0340910208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264449772&sr=8-1