Doodledootoo

What's the quietest breed, do you reckon?

No idea how to do a poll so just canvassing views really!

I've got two Silkies. Apart from a "I've laid an egg!" crow at about 10.00am, they hardly make any noise.

I had three hybrids from Omlet (since re-homed but not for noise reasons!). They were far more vocal.

Which of your chickens are the quietest?

:D Hellooo,

We've had Bluebells before which were fairly noisy..they went to a farm as they needed more space.

The pekins we have now are fairly quiet..Millie is a bit gobby on occasion but I think she's shouting at me for not letting her out of the run when I'm getting ready for work.

Donna

(cube lilac)(white chicken) Pekin-Fleur PP Pekin- Pickalilly GNR Pekin-Millie

RIP (Bluebelle) Barbara & (Bluebelle) Baby

Lets hope they stay that way Griffin! My polands shout very loudly when there's an egg -even non-chicken-owning neighbours now say they know when we've got an egg!, otherwise its a lovely low-level chatter. The LF orps are quiet unless they think I have some food in which case they set up a lovely low level chatter. The bantam orp has a strangled squawk that is quite loud which she uses quite regularly. The noise from the cockeral, however, makes up for any low level chattering by absolutely yelling his head off in an annoying-the-neighbours type way.

I have 2 x barnebars, who hardly make any noise except for when they have laid an egg, 2 x buff orps, which are the same, just make abit when they lay or just a low level chatter to one another and 1 x cream legbar whos very quiet until she's laid an egg then you might hear quite a noise! :lol:

A lot of it comes down to personality though, I have hens that are gobby and others the same breed that are quiet :lol:

That's true just from reading this thread - I have a bluebelle who likes to chatter but I've never heard her raise her voice!

On the other hand ............my whitestar squawks as soon as she hears my car pull up until she goes to bed :roll:

Well....I have a few different breeds knocking about in my garden so:

Splash Orpington and top chook - not a peep except for the very rare egg announcement

Jubilee Orp - chunters/grumbles under her breath - normally moaning about the youngsters

Buff Orp - honks and honks and honks and honks :roll:

Amber Star - occasional shouter but rare

Bluebelle - what bluebelle? she is so quiet I would forget I had her if it wasn`t for the eggs she lays every day :)

Cream Legbar - occasional honker but only when she has managed to flop over the fencing and can`t work out how to get back to her mates - USE THE GATE you dizzy mare! :roll:

Wyandotte Cross - silent but deadly - she gets under my feet and i have ended up face down on the patio on one or two occasions because of her

Japanese - silent except when they are handled and then they make a sound so shrill it hurts my ears!

Pekins - silent ones and rowdy teenage ones :roll:

Silkie crosses - a pure delight...they have a little chat to each other and me but nothing unecessary

LF Silkies - really called Tia and Maria but more often called "will you shut up" and "Oi!!!! stop it!!" Tia likes to egg announce for EVERYBODY!! :shock: and Maria just seems to like the sound of her own voice! :roll:

Bitza called Rum - will have a shout if the mood takes her but those moods are rare

RESULTS SO FAR:-

Silkie 3 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Hybrid 2 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Bluebelle 1 vote quiet 3 votes noisy

Pekins 2 votes quiet 0 votes noisy

RIR 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

Polands 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

Orps 4 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Legbar 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

White star 0 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Wyandotte 1 vote quiet 0

Japanese 1 vote quiet 0

Bitza 1 vote quiet 0

Looks like the Orps have it in terms of peace & quiet! :clap:

My wells summer makes a right racket!

I swear she has a watch and knows when i should give her treats because if i am late from my shower she starts ...

eggs for the neighbours . not hers because she is a pure bread in the winter.. they dont have to lay eggs.

My ex batts are fairly quiet. My two silkie crosses are so noisy. Coco who is a Silkie cross Araucana regularly sits on the perch in the run shouting at nothing, first time she did this I went running out thinking they were being attacked. Pipa just shouts at everyone and anything. She might be the smallest but shes definately the loudest.

Orps are SOOO laid back too...even my honker! All the little 'uns push past them on their way to food or the best perch and the Orps are like "yea, whatever..." as they shrug their wings

I agree, my two orps are very laid back, they just chatter along to themselves and have a good nose about. Lovely breed! :dance:

OK, here are the results from the Space Chick Panel.....

Warren - Quiet in the run, mouthy as anything when free ranging

White Star - Was loud until she started laying, and now quiet as a mouse, rarely even egg announces.

Speckledy - Like to tweet quietly

Barnebar - Virtually silent, until egg laying time and then egg announces very loudly before, during and after!

Cream Legbar - If she can see you she shrieks loudly, rest of the time she's quite quiet

Wernlas Olive - Very very quiet, with subtle understated egg announcing

Wyandotte - Quiet other than when shes broody (which is frequently) then she's a very very noisy girl

Silkie - Very very very noisy girl, shouts constantly :lol:

Appenzeller - If you asked me a few weeks ago I would have said not a peep, however, she has recently found her voice and its a loud one :wink:

Ex Batts x3 - 2 quiet, 1 "shouter", all egg announce loudly.

Hope this helps, but I agree it comes down to the individual personalities :D

Black Rock, Light Sussex cross and 2 x ex-Barn girls (one silent, one chatty).

Extremely quiet whilst FR (you wouldn't know they were there), fairly quiet when in the WIR and they can't see me, but all complain to some degree when in the WIR and they CAN see me and want treats or to be released from their prison!

But very different at treat times!

Black Rock - a gobby shouter, "Who's been eating MY porridge?"

Light Sussex cross - a gobby honker, "Get orf my porridge!"

Ex-Barn 1 - non-stop chat, "Please Mum, can I have some MORE? Honestly, BR won't let me have ANY AT ALL and I feel so left out!... oh Mummy, pretty perlease... I'm still sooo hungry after the year in that barn..."

Ex-Barn 2 - very quiet.

They're different again when they're laying!

Black Rock - stealth, ninja layer. Sneaks off and hides one.

Light Sussex - "Excuse ME everyone, I'm off to lay a WHOPPER!" and gives a running commentary and then some more afterwards.

Ex-Barn 1 - purrs like a kitten.

Ex-Barn 2 - very quiet.

RESULTS SO FAR:-

Silkie 4 votes quiet 2 vote noisy

Silkie X 1 vote noisy 0 votes quiet

Hybrid 2 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Bluebelle 1 vote quiet 3 votes noisy

Pekins 2 votes quiet 2 votes noisy

RIR 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

Polands 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

Orps 5 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Legbar 2 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

White star 1 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Wyandotte 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

Japanese 1 vote quiet 0

Bitza 1 vote quiet 0

Wells Summer 0 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Ex-Bats 4 vote quiet 2 votes noisy

Cochin 0 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Warren 1 vote quiet 0 votes noisy

Speckledy 1 vote quiet 0 votes noisy

Barnebar 1 vote quiet 1 vote noisy

Wernals Olive 1 vote quiet 0 votes noisy

Appenzeller 0 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Blackrock 0 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Light Sussex X 0 votes quiet 1 vote noisy

Orps are holding their lead!

OK, bonjour, 'ere are ze nominations from us 'ere in 'Ook.

Splash Orpie - whinge whinge whine very loud

Blue Orpie - whinge whinge in tune with Splash - getting louder

Buff Sussex - manumanumanum. Soft bumblings was lovely now a little thug

Silkie - used to whinge, now too busy looking for tasty bugs

Blue Pekin - nothing apart from a little humumum

Black Pekin - only numanum when picked up

Lavender Pekin - can be a bit gobby - boss of the pekins

Maran - BOKBOKBOK whenever someone else is in the nestbox, or a squirrel, or a pigeon. She sets everyone off. She used to just go a nasally hawhehawhehaw (which we assumed was the French in her) but just recently she's discovered a voice.

I thought I'd pick the quiet ones you know. :roll: