Happy chickens!

So disappointed!

I thought that my not too distant neighbour on the allotment was going to have bees - her sister is an experienced beekeeper needing a home for one hive, and had offered to show anyone interested the ropes. Was very pleased and interested in seeing the bees, as well as the prospect of better pollinated crops, but all the plot-holders had to agree, and before that could be finalised, she had an offer elsewhere for a home for her bees. :(

Still, it may yet happen, and now I have a contact, maybe will still get to learn more about this fascinating subject.

What a shame. :(

I'm hoping to set up a hive on our allotments this year, if the Association and Allotment Liaison Officer agree and we can get Public Liability Insurance set up. We have 3 beekeepers on site and plenty of expertise to call on, so I am hopeful. :D

Some allotments won't allow it, but there are a few members of my local division who keep bees on their allotments.

Happy chickens, if you're keen, why not contact your local bee-keeping group and see if they're running a course? Then you could be the person bringing bees to the allotment!

I keep bees on my allotment, and have a frame with netting around the hive site. This makes the bees fly high as they enter or leave the hive, to stop them flying into my allotment neighbours. I don't have public liability insurance, but I do have my beekeeping insurance which may, or may not, include an element of public liability.

I think that having a screen around the, to minimise conflict and to protect someone from accidentally running into them in the dar, along with a warning sign that bees are on the site should be adequate attempts to minimise risk.

If you have insurance then I believe it includes public liability element.

The BBKA have an info leaflet on 'allotment beekeeping' and as I recall it includes advice on warning signs and siting of the apiary - it's on the Members only side, and I can't log in from work as I don't have my details, but if you're a member you should be able to find it.

My theory re: warning signs is that if you site them so they can only be seen by someone who can already clearly see the hive then they shouldn't increase the risk of theft. Sadly, I feel that hives are invariably nicked by people with experience of bees so they'd easily recognise a hive for what it is anyway.

People who steal hives should be taken out and shot, (as should everyone else who does anything to annoy me).

We've just been given the go ahead by our Allotment Liaison Officer to have a small apiary (probably 3 hives) at out allotments. :dance::dance::dance:

Just need to get a majority in favour at the AGM at the end of this month before we proceed. :pray:

:D

Good luck :)

May have to come + have a look at the next open day if I'm free :lol: