CrazyDaizy

Musty tasting egg yolks

Hia Folks

The egg yolks from our Chickens have started to have a "musty" taste to them. Not sure if I am describing it correctly, its similar to when bread starts to go off and as it's about to get that blue mould in it..... ?

The egg whites taste fine, and it might be just me, but I have never noticed it before. They are still eating what they have always eaten, maybe a few extra carrot peelings.

Anyone encountered this problem?

Oh btw.... I dont make a habit of eating mouldy bread :mrgreen:

Maybe it's because one of our chickens is old (nearly 4 years?)

I really need to be out there when they are laying to see who is laying what. I have labelled an egg from our youngest chook this morning and will try that....or let hubby try it :lol: later.

I am really going off eating these eggs in case I get another musty one. The other eggs seem to be fine. Daughter had two boiled eggs on Sunday and both were fine. I had one scrambled egg on Sunday which was disgusting, and then I made a boiled egg and that was disgusting (musty) with watery white.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE OMLET help!!! :shock:

do other people in your house agree that they taste funny or is it just you that can taste the mouldy taste?

I thought it might be just me, but a lady who has eggs off me says she had a "mouldy" tasting one too. She said she just added tomato ketchup to it and carried on eating :lol:

Daughter tasted the mouldy one from the other day and yep, she could taste it too.

So it's not just me :wink:

I dont do anything fancy like put garlic powder in their feed.

All they have is layers pellets, which has never changed.

The only "new" thing in the last month or two is poultry corn.

Apart from that it's carrot peelings, but I am now eliminating those.

Havent a clue what they eat when they are free ranging round the garden. But nothing has changed in the garden in the last few months.

So.... maybe I should try eliminating the poultry corn?? :?:

Problem is, I use it as a treat to get them in the run!