txswanie

help rabbit advice

I was walking with my dogs and caught two morons releasing a pet rabbit into the woods. The thing was obviously very tame and just sitting looking up at them. I told them that if they left it there it would surely be killed by a coyote. They said they were aware of that but couldn't keep it anymore as it pooped too much???? at that point I got mad and told them to put it back in the box and I would take it. Anyway, after trying desperately to rehouse it to a responsible home (not easy around Easter) I gave up and decided to keep it. So now I have 4 dogs and 4 chickens and a cube (arriving end of April). No idea where to locate the hutch (hutch ordered, didnt know they were so expensive) I am afraid of coyotes and raccoons. I have already given over a big portion of my lot to the chickens and their security so am running out of space. I need to keep it out of the sun ( California) and away from the dogs. Every So Cal rabbit site says that you shouldn't keep them outside but there is nowhere to keep him inside.

Top that off with the fact that I have no clue about rabbits (just bought the Dummies book)

This whole thing is freaking me out. He/she is now called Monty.

thanks for any advice.

well done for rescuing him.

It is a while since I kept rabbits, and hot weather was never a problem here :lol:.

Found some useful tips re hot weather care **here**.

Apart from that I would say have him on wood shavings topped with hay, plenty of clean water, hard vegetables to gnaw at, such as carrots, green veg such as broccoli, not too much or they get the squitts, rabbit pellets, chew sticks to wear his teeth down can't remember what they were called, and they are probably sold under a different name in the US.

The hutch arrives today. We decided to keep her in a sunroom just off of our bedroom, that way she is away from dogs and raccoons but has plenty of light and air and can play out of the hutch safely. We had our first visit to the vet and he thinks Monty is a female (but not 100% sure) She has been here for a week so 3 more weeks to see if she is pregnant. The vet doesn't think so but I am a paranoid sort and will worry till then.

Curiously, he said that I shouldn't give her too many vegetables as they can lead to kidney/bladder stones. What do you guys feed your rabbits aside from pellets?

Anyway she is my responsibility now so I need to stop freaking out and just enjoy her (I will be the same in 3 weeks when my chickens arrive :anxious: )

thanks

My new bunny has a mixture of dried pellets, fresh hay and vegetables.

In the morning he has fresh hay and pellets only, and evening he has a selection of vegetables - he likes: Broccoli, Curly Kale, Spinach, Parsley, Celery, Sprouts, and occasionally he has a little bit of carrot (I dont overdo the carrot). Fresh hay is an essential part of their diet as it helps with their teeth.

I am pretty new to this so learning also! :wink:

Thanks for the replies. I don't think a few veggies would hurt. I gave her some alph alpha sprouts and some coriander leaves and she liked that a lot. Occasionally would be ok I think..

Does anyone use pet grass? I think its wheat grass, it comes in a pot and she seems to love it.

The hutch arrived tonight so I guess I will spend the evening assembling it and get her into it tomorrow. Then I can get my laundry back (poop, cant use the rabbit as an excuse for not doing any washings..)