KateB

Wind eggs...

Morning everyone. I'm a little concerned about one of my hens who is about 2 and a half years old now. She had a very long, slow moult back in late autumn / early winter and has never really recovered from it. She hasn't really started laying properly but over the last three weeks or so I've found several wind eggs but no proper eggs from her. I've no idea what is causing this - she has been recently wormed and the Eglu is dusted with louse powder every week as well as some on the girlies. They receive layers pellets, grit, poultry spice now and then, a scattering of corn in the afternoon and the normal veg s"Ooops, word censored!"s etc. They also have greens hanging in the run. Anyone have any ideas?

I found this on the Interweb

Yolk-less eggs are called wind eggs and are usually laid by a young pullet. In a mature hen, a wind egg can occur if a bit of reproductive tissue breaks away, stimulating the egg-producing glands to treat it like a yolk and wrap it in albumen, membranes, and shell, just like a normal egg. In the old days, no-yolkers were called cock eggs and were believed to have been laid by roosters since they wouldn’t hatch.

www.whistlingtrainfarm.com/pages/3FAQsabouteggs.html

There's some simple but interesting information about eggs.

What happens if a double yolker is fertilised? Presumably they don't survive because of lack of space.

Yet another website - the Mad Science Network the same question is asked and the response is......

Generally double yolk (or even triple yolk) eggs are laid by young chickens

when they first come into production. Most commercial eggs are not fertile,

but if they were to be fertile, the presence of the two yolks would

generally lead to an unsuccessful hatch. The nutritional value of the egg

white, which is an important food supply for the embryo is insufficient for

the two embyros.

It doesnt say it can NEVER happen though.

I would be over the moon. I love double yolkers.

My Girlies haven't laid any yet but we used to be able to buy eggs in the produce market that had a very high percentage of double yolks.

The produce market isnt what it used to be.... fresh Cheshire eggs, local farm produced cheese, fresh bacon, fresh oatcakes, everything that was scrummy. :D

The produce Market in Stockport, Jaime.....that brings back memories!! It had its own very disitnctive smell....which I am remembering right now....And Robinsons brewery on a Tuesday...the smell of hops roasting pervaded the whole town.

I spent a chunk of my childhood in Stockport. I had a Saturday Job on a stall on the market when I was about 15.

Cor...I've come over all nostalgic!

We only live about 10 minutes walk away from the Market....

But its nothing like it used to be. There are very few stalls now and the huge egg stall from the middle of the produce hall has shrunk to virtually nothing. It still has that smell :vom: but they dont have tons of sawdust on the floor anymore.

Err :oops: , hate to pull this back onto topic :lol: , but does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be causing it? Wind eggs are tiny little eggs with no yolk - look very cute :roll: but slightly concerning when you've had several over a period of weeks and no 'proper' eggs... Anyone else have an experience like this?