WitchHazel

Cockerels - Tread all year?

I'd appreciate input from those who run a cockerel all year round with their Ladies.

Do cockerels tread all year round?

Our gorgeous and beautifully mannered boy, Roo, currently has a harem of 3 ladies. We may or may not add to his harem from our last two hatches, we haven't decided yet.

He's a big boy, and earlier this year he accidentally damaged a hen and we had to destroy her. When we introduced two new ladies to him we fitted one of them (who was a little bald from the attentions of her previous mate) with a saddle. We intended to fit saddles to the other two girls as well, but for different reasons we didn't (one, his remaining original mate, is a really funny shape and we couldn't get a saddle to fit; the other new girl we couldn't actually catch initially to put the saddle on, then she seemed OK without it).

Anyway. I was wondering if he was going to stop treading, or stop treading so often, at some point as I'd like to take the saddle off the third girl if possible. (I would put it on at the beginning of the next breeding season).

What's your experience please?

Thanks

Hazel

I guess it depends on the actual cockerel but I think most reduce the amount they tread in the winter months. I separate some of my more amorous boys in the winter to give the hens a rest as they moult. Saddles are a must here on all the big hens but I don't think I have any bantams with them :?

:D

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I'll plan to keep it on.

, never needed to use saddles though as he has lots of hens to choose from and is easily distracted and the hens are very willing!

Just want to defend my gorgeous boy here, as he's actually a real gentleman with his ladies: it's not that the hens are unwilling - it's just a grip thing. :)

If anyone goes the saddle route, it's imperative to do a check at least weekly and powder for mites and lice as the hen can't take care of it herself.

Another option is to carefully trim his claws and spurs, filing the spurs too to leave a rounded end.