CrazyDaizy

Concerns about hot weather + chooks kept in their run

Hello folks :angel:

This will be the first summer we have had our chooks. I've read on here about the concerns of flies around chook droppings which worries me. I've also read about the mountains of poop the chooks do, which does seem to be causing a bit of a problem, but it tends to dry out quite quickly and can be brushed into the flower beds. Then there's the problem of keeping water topped up etc :shock:

What are chooks like in hot weather? :think:

I tend to keep them in their eglu run (which is the standard size PLUS extenstion) when we are out, but I always try to let them freerange about 1-2 hours a day at least, and all day most days cos I am home, so they are used to roaming about and "foraging" Are droppings a problem in the eglu run, such a small space, wont the droppings accummulate and cause a problem if they spend so long in there sometimes? :think:

We are going away soon for Easter weekend, not to mention over 2 weeks in the summer. I will get the neighbours to pop round daily to collect eggs and make sure the nest remains clean (they do like to poop in it dont they?) :vom: but I doubt the neighbours will want the responsibility of loosing the chooks out, although Im sure they wont mind a few times for one or two hours on some days.

I'm seriously worried that my chooks are going to miss out at times when we can't look after them :cry:

I'm sure they will be fine.

Last summer, during the heatwave, my back garden was like Death Valley, and so I draped a hideous old duvet cover over the door end of the Eglu, to cast a large shadow, and I soaked it with water a few times at the hottest part of the day......the hens appreciated that.....and they were absolutely fine.

We don't usually have such extreme weather though.

As long as they have an adequate area of shade they should manage OK.

Hello folks :angel:

This will be the first summer we have had our chooks. I've read on here about the concerns of flies around chook droppings which worries me.

I've only seen a few flies in the poop tray, not poo in the run, you used to be able to use citronella to keep flies away, maybe someone will know if you can still get that. I've never had a problem.

I've also read about the mountains of poop the chooks do, which does seem to be causing a bit of a problem, but it tends to dry out quite quickly and can be brushed into the flower beds.

Not really a problem. I survived the heatwave last year with no problems (well a broody hen ( :oops: don't worry about that most hybrids aren't) . They need some shade.

Then there's the problem of keeping water topped up etc :shock:

You could always add an additional water container if you are worried, although the glug holds a HUGE amount of water.

What are chooks like in hot weather? :think:

They sometimes sunbathe of go round with their wings away from their body to keep cool

I tend to keep them in their eglu run (which is the standard size PLUS extenstion) when we are out, but I always try to let them freerange about 1-2 hours a day at least, and all day most days cos I am home, so they are used to roaming about and "foraging" Are droppings a problem in the eglu run, such a small space, wont the droppings accummulate and cause a problem if they spend so long in there sometimes? :think:

We are going away soon for Easter weekend, not to mention over 2 weeks in the summer. I will get the neighbours to pop round daily to collect eggs and make sure the nest remains clean (they do like to poop in it dont they?) :vom: but I doubt the neighbours will want the responsibility of loosing the chooks out, although Im sure they wont mind a few times for one or two hours on some days.

I'm seriously worried that my chooks are going to miss out at times when we can't look after them :cry:

You could get a run extension for extra space, and clean out poo before you go away, perhaps put something like aubiose down.

Don't worry, they're quite hardy :D

Hi!

Don't worry! :D

My three stay in the run (and converter) all summer AND we have a yellow Eglu, which is supposed to attract flies :roll:

Aubiose in the poop tray definitely cuts out all smell and dries the poos up, so no flies. Its a God-send and I would never be without it now.

I have a winter cover, which I keep on the run for shade in the summer, an din the ehight of extreme temperatures last year, I also had a dark IKEA shower curtain on them.

I HAVE bought a bigger water drinker, as I found the peanut feeders (old type, not grub and glug) simply didn't hold enough. This is superb, as at a push, I know it will last them for 3 or 4 days.

Hia folks

Thanx for the reassurance. I will have to get some of that "aubiose" whatever that is :?:

I wonder if I do need to get the run converter? We already have the eglu with the "normal" run PLUS converter, maybe we need an extra one just so they have more space.

Aren't these chooks a worry :o

Aubiose/hemcore are pratically the same sort of thing - horsey type bedding that comes in bales and does a very good job of soaking up poos and wet (me and my chooks could not live without it :) )

Your girls will be fine in the run, we go away in our caravan a lot for weekends away and they are fine. (my sister comes over and picks up any eggs and lets them out to free range for a bit)

I would definitely invest in a 2nd glug for the run like someone else suggested which means they would have more than enough water when you are not there.