rachel19

Omlet netting - does it work?

Hey, we're considering getting some of the omlet netting to give the girls an extra play area as their 21ft by 6ft run just wont do apparently :roll:

We have a lot of foxes around so it's just an area to let them out into whilst we're in the garden over summer as our garden isn't at all secure and I dont fancy chasing 6 chickens round the garden trying to round them up again!

So, does the netting keep them contained as it's only 4ft high? And also how do you get your girls back into their run when they obviously dont want to go and sweetcorn doesn't work - partly because they cant work out where the door is :roll: Florence is the only one i dont have to chase after to get hold of but the others hate being picked up and always run for it.

The netting keeps them in, as long as you don't have anything near it they can use as a launchpad (Eglu for example, or in my case the lovely compost bin which I put near the edge of the run for ease of access)

The netting won't keep foxes out. They bite through it, as we know to our cost.

We've been quite pleased with ours. It's a two (or more) man job to put up, though.

I really like mine :D sorry Rachel but find it easy to do solo :? , providing it's rolled up as I collect it to move, you ar right about hopping over the top from a garden bench etc :roll: I think it's only 3feet high (must be, I can step over it if I'm being lazy :oops: ) you could always electrify it to make it safer?

karen x

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I didn't like my fence - I love it! Before I had it, the chickens had the run of the garden and completely trashed it. And actually, I just imagine it's a two man job, as I've always have had to do it on my own (though once hubby did stand and watch, making helpful comments. He was very busy watching the barbeque get to the right temperature). :whistle:

I didn't know that you could electrify it! How d'you do that then? :?:

I didn't know that you could electrify it! How d'you do that then? :?:

Easy peasy :D you know the little 'tail' on one end of the fence? well that has a metal bit that you clip the transformer to (bit like jump leads!) the transformer we have looks a little like an up turned plant pot with 2 leads, one for the fence and one to connect to the earth spike.

Love the bit about OH and the BBQ :lol: sounds so familiar :roll::wink:

karen x

it's great, I had one problem when Flo decided to try to get throguh and got stcuk and beaten up badly by my Omlet girls :shock: BUT that apart it's great. if it gets slack my pekins can launch themselves through or under sometimes.

I wouldn't be without it though

BBx :D

I think it's brilliant, but they can get underneath it if it's a bit slack, and it is quite hard work to get it all tightened up! Mine don't fly over it, and they don't get stuck in it despite trying very hard to strangle themselves.

I do struggle with it, but have discovered best way is to lay it out flat, with all the poles pointing inwards, and then upright them one at a time. (You will understand when you see the netting). It's a bit laborious, but yes it is definitely worth the money.

I can't believe you have chickens that don't go mad for sweetcorn! try mealworms, I shamelessly resort to bribery to get them back in the run, and it works every time. :wink:

No, my chookes love sweetcorn but they're stubborn and say they prefer grass and worms :roll:

Thanks for the advice guys - think i will invest in some when my student loan comes through in a couple of weeks :lol:

We don't need it to be fox proof as this will only be the occasional let out when we're gonna be in the garden for an hour or two so this should be perfect. May have to clip their wings tho!!!