phenna_family

Letting out chickens for the first time

Hi Everyone,

We got our chicklets on Tuesday (3/4/07), Roy suggested to let them out of the run on Saturday. What is the best timeof the day to let them out and how long for?

Is there any hazards we need to look out for in the garden, we have a six foot fence around so are safe there. Are there any plants that chicken's maybe bad for them.

Many thanks

for your help

Claire and the girls

I think I'd be tempted to wait for early evening, so that when its bed time, they will hopefully take themselves back into the run and Eglu. Saves you having to chase them around if they don't want to go away..... bet you don't wait until then though... :wink::lol::lol:

Hi Annie,

I know its such a lovely day today and we are all off, broke up for the easter break, my kids broke up from school last week, but the school I work at broke up yesterday, so this is the first full day we have spent with our girls.

They have taken themselves to bed on the dot every night at 7.45, and we let them out at 7am, do you think it would be ok to stretch their legs today instead of tomorrow, as when we open the run they are eager to come out.

Just been looking at your website your animals are lovely, my mum and dad sponser a Donkey at the Sanctuary in the Isle of White.

Claire

I usually put mine back in well before bedtime, mealworms/sweetcorn or raisins always does the trick to get them back in! They will love being out, even if it's only for an hour or so.

Just a word of caution - please, please don't assume that six-foot fences will protect your girls, they will not be able to get out, but that will not stop a fox from getting in :evil:

A fox can easily scale a six-foot fence, and I think urban foxes are bolder and therefore more dangerous, than country ones. I won't let my girls out unless I am in the garden with them.

hi everyone,

thx for all your advice.

well we let our girls out while we were in the garden, they were out for about an hour, then took themsleves back in the run.

they really enjoyed themsleves being out, it was nice to be close to them, must take some pictures and post them on here.

thanks once again, must dash going out in the garden to see the girls again.

Claire

Well having just got my new babies, cochins, I let them out on day 2 but within a netted area, by day 3 I decided I'd try them on the whole garden and they've been fine. Play it by ear and take into account of their need to 'wander', cochins are pretty laid back. I was told, sensibly, 'once they know who feeds them they don't want to leave'. Good luck :D

BBxx