bennett Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Have found this evening my 4 month old Welsummer, huddled in a corner. I went to pick her up and she just sat there, this is not normal for her as we have only had her 3 weeks and she like to normally give me the run around. She sat on my lap and fell asleep, not even meal worms tempted her. She was sneezing evey so often , so i have bought her into the shower room made her a comfortable bed in a carrier . I dont think she is going to make it, she is lying on her side gurgling like she smokes 20 a day. I dont think there is anything else i can do really? She was totally fine this morning and had obviously gone down hill very quickly. I would have taken her to the vet had it not closed I have put some coxoid in her water and have sat with her stroking her for a while. I am very upset I pray that she makes it through the night and i find i chook flapping around my wet room, however i dont think this is the case Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Hope she picks up. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 if you cannot get it to a vet tonight keep it nice and warm and get it to the vet in the morning for a tylan injection - sounds like its something to do with the chest - often this sounds worse than it is so fingers crossed If its realy suffering you may need to find someone who can humanely cull it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennett Posted July 15, 2010 Author Share Posted July 15, 2010 Hopefully a night in the warm may perk her up a bit. I am so upset watching her, all my frinds think i am stupid but they are my pets and if your dog was sick you would be upset. My kHubby has been very good and told me to get the emegency vet out whatever the cost however I have just rung the emergency vet and the vet cannot give her tylan as she is not qualififed in chickens. So she said to call in the morning and make an appointment to get her in for the injection So get your chooks to keep all thier wings crossed for Wilma! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Good luck, I hope she gets better soon. Wings crossed x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Wings crossed here too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Sounds really scarey but if she is falling asleep even if she sounds terrible then she's not in a panic and suffering in that way. Good luck in the morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jellykelly Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Have you checked her crop? I only ask as I had a chicken do this to me a few months ago. She was listless, not interested in food and making a noise that can only be described as a death rattle. She had a really hard crop though. It was rock solid and was constricting her breathing/chest slightly. I massaged the crop to ease things and move things along and by the morning she was as right as rain. I'm not saying that it's the same, but may be worth checking. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 15, 2010 Share Posted July 15, 2010 Fingers firmly crossed for you If it's any help, a trip to the vets tonight may well have stressed her too much anyway the way she sounds. When breathing is like that stress can push them over the edge so maybe that vet has done you a favour. Good luck and please keep us posted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennett Posted July 16, 2010 Author Share Posted July 16, 2010 Well Wilma is still with us this morning (thank god as it is my daughters b day and didnt want to have to break the news) She is much the same as last night. I am going to ring the vets at 8am and get her sorted. I have made the decision that if the vet feels that there is nothing we can do then i will have her put to sleep at the vets She is not eating and drinking, tried to syringe some drops last night but she just tucked her head into her wings. I will look at her crop but it didnt seem noticable when i had her on my lap but anything worth a go. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 16, 2010 Share Posted July 16, 2010 Glad she made it through the night. Poor little soul, good luck at the vets. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennett Posted July 16, 2010 Author Share Posted July 16, 2010 Sadly the vet said she had gone too far to give antibiotics, so we put her to sleep in my arms I have paid for her to be cremated too. It was sad but if she was beyond help then it is best for her. I am going to have the rest of the girls put on antibiotics as the vet thinks that the older birds maybe carrying it and it is affecting the younger birds. Especially as i have just hatched 6 pekins under a broody, i dont want them to get it. But after a £40 vet bill today i dont want to think how much it will cost. However you cant put a price on chooks well being. RIP Wilma, you will be missed xxxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 16, 2010 Share Posted July 16, 2010 Sorry to hear that Bennett Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted July 16, 2010 Share Posted July 16, 2010 Very sad to hear that . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 16, 2010 Share Posted July 16, 2010 I'm so sorry Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...