austele_1

Long weekends...

Not sure if this is in the right place, still fairly new to the forum so apologies if it's all wrong! But next weekend were going on a short break - go Friday, back Sunday and I'm worried about leaving the chickens.

I'm going to leave the Eglu door open and maybe put two feeders and drinkers in, but do you think they'll be okay?

Sorry everyone, but I'm a born worrier and I need reasurance that I won't come back to find no chickens. :(

I was thinking of putting in two feeders and drinkers and what do I give them to play with?

Just worried that they might be to cold and get frostbite or that a fox might somehow get into the run and they won't be locked in their eglu! Sure they'll be fine, thank you very much! :)

I worry about the fox too but I know that I have locked the outer door and they are safe.

I usually leave them a cabbage, a rodent treat ball with corn in and a homemade chicken cake that I tie to the wire. I'm sure they probably eat it all the first day but I know they have had fun when I see all the excavating and craters they have been digging.

They'll be fine - the Glug and Grub probably hold enough for two chooks for a weekend anyway, but extra water is a good idea. Chuck a cabbage in for them to peck at/kick around. They won't be too cold - hens can cope with cold much better than heat. I'm afraid that if your run wasn't secure, they would probably have been 'foxed' already, so you can go away and rest assured that they will be fit and healthy and pleased to see you when you get back!

I have asked my Mother to write "Cabbage" on her shopping list and then I shall give it them as a little going away present!

Agree they'll be ok for food and water but is there a neighbour who would shut the house door to keep them safe overnight.

Nope, unfortunatly we live in the middle of no where. :(

We left our girls for the weekend recently...I just put an extra clip on the run door...(for the sake of my sanity not theirs!! I wanted no chance that it could be opened!)...they were fine. As long as your run is secure, and they have enough food and water then your worst outcome is that they will be broody because no one has taken the eggs away!!!

We too are going away from fri to mon next week. I have emailed a local pet sitter about visiting on the sat and sun but had no reply so far. My worry is the eggs. What if they smash them and then get a taste for them? If they are not collected daily by Mon there will be 12 eggs!!! Surely some will get squashed if left. Mmmmm what to do what to do?