MarkBevBen

What do you all 'do' whilst watching your girls?

This has all made me decide I should spend more time with my chicks, so yesterday I stood for a good long time just watching them. To my surprise I saw my little cockerel, Dill, being quite nasty to our newest (but largest) hen, Delia. He was chasing her off of the food dish and then off of the apples under the tree. :shock: Nasty Dill. I gave him a severe talking to & shut him the run. Today he is being much nicer and I even saw him eating with Delia.

I am terrible - I put one whatever coat/jacket/scarf is to hand by the bad door (I resemble a bag lady) slip on my pooh covered crocs and sit on the bench opposite the WIR to supervise Myrtle GNR and Maisie PP as they make their way to bed every night (as I work all day ther FR for a couple of hours in the evening) Depending on the weather I either have a mug of tea or a glass of vino in hand whilst sitting there. At the weekends I am normally pottering in the garden having frequent breaks to play with/feed treats to or just watch the girls going about their FR business!!

Oh yes, the bedtime ritual - how could I have forgotten that!

My little girls all get "seen" off to bed and have done ever since I first adopted hens. If I have to be out and miss bedtime, I feel very resentful and I really don't like the depths of winter when they're all in bed long before I get home :(.

It is not unknown for certain little girlies (mentioning no names, Lola and Little Chicken) to get out of bed when I get home late, just for the joy of being seen back to bed again before the doors are shut ... :D

This has all made me decide I should spend more time with my chicks, so yesterday I stood for a good long time just watching them. To my surprise I saw my little cockerel, Dill, being quite nasty to our newest (but largest) hen, Delia. He was chasing her off of the food dish and then off of the apples under the tree. :shock: Nasty Dill. I gave him a severe talking to & shut him the run. Today he is being much nicer and I even saw him eating with Delia.

See all the things we miss when we're not watching! :lol:

Naughty Dill too - glad he's being better behaved today though :D

I am terrible - I put one whatever coat/jacket/scarf is to hand by the bad door (I resemble a bag lady) slip on my pooh covered crocs and sit on the bench opposite the WIR to supervise Myrtle GNR and Maisie PP as they make their way to bed every night (as I work all day ther FR for a couple of hours in the evening) Depending on the weather I either have a mug of tea or a glass of vino in hand whilst sitting there. At the weekends I am normally pottering in the garden having frequent breaks to play with/feed treats to or just watch the girls going about their FR business!!

Love it Debsy and I'm sure you aren't a bag lady but an a-list fasio-henista!! :D:D:D

I always go and say nighty-night to our girls, sleep tight and give them all a little pat :D:D:D

Edited by Guest

It is not unknown for certain little girlies (mentioning no names, Lola and Little Chicken) to get out of bed when I get home late, just for the joy of being seen back to bed again before the doors are shut ...

:lol::lol::lol: really Dancing Cloud? Awwwww :D

Mine went to bed at 5:45pm yesterday, it's getting earlier and earlier now. Still always go and say nighty-night and sweet dreams to them :D:D

Half as much as I would do if I did not have chooks!

Since the girlies arrived I have spent lots more time in the garden which has to be a good thing. Resent to shorter days as see less of 'em.

I suppose other chicken owners say "Going to close the pop-hole on the coop" rather than the "Going to close the bedroom door on their hutch"?? :x

It is not unknown for certain little girlies (mentioning no names, Lola and Little Chicken) to get out of bed when I get home late, just for the joy of being seen back to bed again before the doors are shut ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: really Dancing Cloud? Awwwww :D

Mine went to bed at 5:45pm yesterday, it's getting earlier and earlier now. Still always go and say nighty-night and sweet dreams to them :D :D

I would like to think that they come out to say hello to me and have a chat before they go to sleep, but really they just get out of bed to see if I've any treats for them :roll: .

Mine are also going to bed earlier and they will all be in bed before I get home once the clocks go back :( and yes, I too always go out and say goodnight and tell them I love them before I close their door :oops:

I too say "put themselves to bed" or that I'm going to put them to bed!

Today we spent time together, for the second freerange time only, in the garden. I weeded and pulled out all the dead and unused veggies, while they 'helped' by standing right next to me and locating, then gobbling up, the worms! COuld do with encouraging them to go for slugs and snails instead.

My ex-batt girls seem to have learnt really quickly and are keen to get out of their WIR! Well, it's still half term so they've got a few days free-ranging left this week, although I'm frightened I might lose one, even tho the garden is completely enclosed. Maybe panic will abate when they've been out a few more times.

Merlotti x

I suppose other chicken owners say "Going to close the pop-hole on the coop" rather than the "Going to close the bedroom door on their hutch"?? :x

We always say we're going to shut up the chickens, and then before closing the eglu door say "shut up chickens!" (but only in a nice way, no outside voices or cross tones you understand :D )

It's great reading what you all get up to whilst chicken watching...I suffer with such bad circulation in my hands (raynauds )(sp?) that unless I keep very active I can't stay out in the cold for long, even wearing gloves. I also work, so I hate the winter, when due to fox activity in the area, FR time is limited to weekends only when I am either doing some quite physical work in the garden, cleaning them out, or drinking a warm drink, which is doubling as a hottie for my hands.... :)

I too say "put themselves to bed" or that I'm going to put them to bed!

Today we spent time together, for the second freerange time only, in the garden. I weeded and pulled out all the dead and unused veggies, while they 'helped' by standing right next to me and locating, then gobbling up, the worms! COuld do with encouraging them to go for slugs and snails instead.

My ex-batt girls seem to have learnt really quickly and are keen to get out of their WIR! Well, it's still half term so they've got a few days free-ranging left this week, although I'm frightened I might lose one, even tho the garden is completely enclosed. Maybe panic will abate when they've been out a few more times.

Merlotti x

Awww what fab little gardening girls you've got Merlotti :dance::D

Every morning I make porridge for all (oat porridge for me layers pellet porridge for the chickens). I wrap up warm in down jacket and paramo trousers and take a tray out to the garden to eat breakfast together. Just have to be careful not to get the bowls the wrong way round, I'm sure they wouldn't mind but I would!!

Every morning I make porridge for all (oat porridge for me layers pellet porridge for the chickens). I wrap up warm in down jacket and paramo trousers and take a tray out to the garden to eat breakfast together. Just have to be careful not to get the bowls the wrong way round, I'm sure they wouldn't mind but I would!!

:lol::lol::lol: awww love it SB! :D