MarkBevBen

What do you all 'do' whilst watching your girls?

As it says really! :D

I've just sat outside eating a very yummy chicken/chorizo/potatoe casserole whilst watching them! Even though it's a bit cold out! :o:lol:

Sometimes I've eaten breakfast, lunch, dinner, or drank a vino in the evening..... what does everyone else do? :think:

Had I not been outside, I'd have missed our Dottie having a little mad-half-hour :lol: She was jumping up at the roof of the run and running along at the same time - bless her, she ended up doing an airbourne roly-poly and landed on the dust bath!!! :lol::lol::lol: I'm sure the neighbours must've heard this crazy one laughing away! :lol::lol:

Likewise I just potter around the top garden where my chickens are as not much can do really. When the garden is more developed and we have some veggies growing/greenhouse etc will find something then to keep me busy but mostly at the moment I spend time helping the girls dig the ground looking for worms. :lol::lol::lol:

The weather's been pretty wet and grim, so I mostly watch them through the kitchen window while doing the dishes (which I absolutely hated before and now take ages doing :D ). If/when the rain stops I let them out for a bit and love feeding them corn out of my hand or digging the compost for some juicy worms. They've got me well trained! :lol: The idea was to do some gardening while they are freeranging but haven't done a whole lot so far, I'm too busy entertaining the girls! :lol:

I fire up my laptop on the dining room table, which looks out into the garden, and I surf the internet for rubbish (usually) or go onto this forum, and type away whilst watching the girls and drinking copious amounts of coffee.

It's my new hobby and I have to say, I am good at it.

In the summer I sit outside with the girls and either help dig up "wormies" or just sit with a small sherry (yeah, right.....small.... :liar: ) and just watch them.

In fact if I could get a job doing this, I would, but I don't think anyone would pay me money to do it!!

Raking up leaves in the garden at this time of year - we have large trees at the bottom of the garden, and get a lot of leaves. The chickens seem to enjoy scratching about amongst them, and as fast as I rake them they fall (leaves not chickens), so its a bit like trying to hold back the tide, but its made a more enjoyable task by watching the chickens. The other day all three of them were dust bathing together, they looked so sweet! :)

This time of year I'm often found at the conservatory windows, coffee in hand just watching or in my sewing room bobbing up and down between seams just to check on them :wink:

Saturday mornings, if its dry, OH has a lie in and I have them all to myself so I take my brekkie outside and snuggle down in my fleece to chook watch whilst I eat.

Chook watching is the biggest stress buster ever :dance:

Went charity shopping yesterday in order to find a specific chook watching fleece...my daughter thought I was very odd when I announced this specific intention (sadly I failed :( )....Mostly they divert me when I should be doing something else...I've not really got an official excuse for chicken gazing - their bit of the garden is a wilderness (even before they arrived - "thanks" to some unhelpfully placed conifers) so I pretty much watch the chooks!

With wine in summer...With cold feet at the moment. But still such a happy occupation :)

I sit on a patio next to the grapevines and drink a coffee (or a Red Bull....its my only vice...apart from chickens) and watch their mad antics. It is still t shirt weather here so it is really nice to sit in the sun and do nothing. I am generally joined by a dog or 4, all of whom want to sit in my lap at once. I did this today only to catch Marion Davies standing on a tree stump shouting her head off. I think she wants to be the rooster..

Loving all your 'watching techniques'! I normally go out with the thought just to get them fed and watered and leave them to it - then end up just standing and watching, then thinking I might as well be having a cup of coffee to warm my hands, then go and fuss and fiddle with things in the run, etc etc! :roll:

I think I'm just making excuese to watch them! I gave them crumb porridge with peas in this morning but as it was hte first time they've seen 'strange little green things' they were quickly removed, one by one, and trampled underfoot! :lol: I'll keep trying to get some goodness into them tho - they're still learning that they can eat things apart from Exbatt food from the grub container.

:clap: If I hadn't stood watching, I'd have missed Keppel find and devour her first worm yesterday! :dance:

Don't we all have other things we should be getting on with? Well, yes...but they're not as much fin are they?!

Merlotti x

I usually sit in the conservatory reading the papers or surfing the 'net, the radio or the TV will be on. If it's summer and the sun is out then I am just by the door lounging about in a deckchair doing the same.

I might do a bit of gardening I might clean the run, I might faff about with washing on and off of lines - really as little as possible.

If the weather is grotty then I do stuff in the kitchen - the floor may even get washed. :lol:

I don't like my girls to be out unless I am in the garden with them - so I do a lot of gardening, particularly pruning - I find digging has to be done while they are in the run mostly, otherwise they get underfoot. I have been known to sit on the bench with the netbook and a cup of tea, while they have a run out in the summer. However my favourite winter occupation is sawing wood for the woodburner - even on a cold day I am toasty and warm while they are having a scratch around!

I have a bench strategically placed in the sun right opposite my chicken run and would dearly love to sit with a coffee or glass of wine and just watch my chooks, but the reality is that I don't really do this. Partly I have itchy feet and seem to have to jump and do something as soon as I sit down and partly I have a guilty conscience that I ought to be working (as I do when I tap on this forum, but I still love it). I change their newspaper and water and put out their mash (or porridge as it was this morning) when I let them out first thing in the morning and I feed them shortbread crumbs around 11.00 and give them their 'lunchtime veggies' at about 2.00 then their corn about 5.00 and that is it. :( However sometimes I do manage to just ' go and fuss and fiddle with things in the run' as someone (Merlotti?) said. I do love doing this :D It is my fav. occupation.