StephenW

Got hive

I go my hive today its a national one. Every thing included. All I need is foundation wax. I am hopeing to start bee keeping next year. Could someone please tell please tell me if I get the wax foundation now will it go off? Or when should I get it?

Thanks

Steve

Stored sesibly, it will not go off, possibly for years - if sealed in polythene and stored under favourable, cool dry conditions.

Fit the foundation just a short time before it is needed, or it can become hard and brittle quite quickly, often a problem with beginners starting with a small nuc into a full brood box (not recommended!), or distorted if stored too hot.

Beeks soon learn to save a few frames of drawn comb. It is a valuable asset, but needs careful protection against waxmoth, mice, etc.

Regards, RAB

Neither. Putting a nuc into a box with, say, more than a 100% increase in volume is simply folly.

A divider (preferably), or a slab of something the bees will not chew, to isolate/fill the unwanted space until the nuc expands by, say, one or two frames drawn at a time and brooded, is the far better route.

5 frames to a possible 12 in one step is simply asking for trouble, especially if the weather turns inclement.

We wouldn't take semi-detached 3 bedroomed size boiler with us when we moved into a five bedroomed detatched mansion might be an analogy. A few extra kilowatts would be required. Similarly with the bees. OK, until they need to conserve heat in the brood nest in a much larger box - all it will do is slow down their development. While this is happening the foundation will be becoming drier as well.

Regards, RAB