Dizzy-Deb

Gym memberships... costs ?

I dont think any of them advertise their costs, I think that they want you to go in and ask, then they assume you wont leave without joining!

It is good to go and have a look about tho to see if they have classes/equipment that you want. I always look at the changing rooms to see if they're nice and clean!

Some GPs have a referral scheme in conjunction with a local leisure centre - if you fulfil the criteria you are referred for a short course with a personal trainer (ours is 26 sessions over 13 weeks) then you can join for half price.

I was referred a couple of years ago and pay half price (off peak) - it also covers any of the studio classes and my favourite....Aquafit!

I pay £ 10.00 per month at my local university on a joint scheme through my GP practice & Weight Watchers.

I get unlimited membership for one year. Two free sessions with an Fitness Instructor (initial and programme).

The price without this scheme is £ 20.00 per month plus £ 25.00 per session with the finess instructor.

Most of our local gyms seem to be around £40/month for a full membership.

Rosie and I are members of our local (brand new) leisure complex, we get single parent family membership that entitled us to use absolutely everything, and to any classes without paying anything more. As part of our company perks, they pay for this :D We use it a lot, so it is well worth it.

Rosie has swimming coaching (now up to gold standard) there, but that's private, so I have to pay extra for that. She's now doing lifeguard training as part of the coaching, so it could come in useful if she wants to work there when in the school hols when she's older.

had a terrible time trying to get out of the membership when I had a kne op & couldnt use it. Read the small print very carefully before you join

that part of re- joining a gym scares me as I have heard of horror stories like yours where had trouble cancelling membership. I had no problem with JJBs.

I did look at a local leisure centre a while back and it was a dreadful place. Unisex changing room :shock: , you had cubicles for some privacy but there was no way you could have a shower!

I really wish they would 'advertise' their membership costs, rather than the come along for a free day membership.... I love to know whats what before I go. :lol::lol::lol:

Most of them are anxious to get new members on board, especially with people dropping out as finances tighten; you can use this to your advantage and ask for free day passes as they will be bending over backwards to get new members on board.

I have worked in and used many gyms in the past and it is very important that you feel comfortable with the facilities and ambiance.

I have just cancelled my old gym membership as I just wasn't using it. I joined it when I lived about three minutes drive (15 minutes walk) away and even when we moved here I still used it two or three times a week. Now with my hobby of driving teenagers all over the county, I just wasn't making the most of the £64 per month that it was costing. DS and I have now joined at the hotel five minutes walk away. It isn't so good but it is £57 per month for the two of us which is much better value. They will sometimes offer better value if you join with someone else.