Sammi J

Chat room?

Do we want a chat room on this forum?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want a chat room on this forum?

• Yes we do.
    • No we don't

Hello.

Please give us your thoughts on whether you think a chat room on this forum would be a good idea.

I think it's a good place to meet up and have a natter, it can be used every now and then or we could have organised meetings in there where we pick a day and time and everyone who can make it turns up.

Lets us know what you think please.

Regards

Sammi-x- :lol:

I think a chat room might get a bit complicated I thought you needed a moderator just in case you got some crack pot on line. Some sick people just use these things as a way of putting obscene things out over the internet.

I don't know much about them as I have never used one, but it might be difficult to coordinate a suitable time when everybody is available,not much use if there is only one person on line which quite often happens on this site.

As James has handed over moderating powers to Lesley, Jane and myself, I wonder who would moderate a chat room. None of us are on long enough or regularly enough to do it at the moment. I don't know about you lot, but Lesley and I use the PM system as a form of chat room!! Probably not what it was meant for but it's a quick way of getting a message across when you're on-line at the same time :D .

Hi Sammi

I know I'm going to show my age here - but is a chatroom different to using the Nesting Box then?

I thought the Nesting Box was a chatroom?

You'll have to enlighten me! :oops:

Lesley

Hi Lesley, Yes it's different to the nesting box because you would enter by clicking on it and once there you would write what you wanted in a small section, press return and it would appear on the screen straight away for everyone in the chat room to see. It would look like this:-

Lesley: Hello how was your weekend?

Sammi: It was really great, how was yours?

:D:lol::D

Babs&Ginger wrote: I think a chat room might get a bit complicated I thought you needed a moderator just in case you got some crack pot on line. Some sick people just use these things as a way of putting obscene things out over the internet.

Hi, This forum is brillant because you can't just do a search on google and get on the site, it's only for eglu owners so I don't think you would get the crack pots who say weird things. As for moderator, I don't know how this works in regards to a chat room whether you have someone on it all the time but I have heard of other sites that only have the chat room open at certain times each week which would help that, I guess.

Babs&Ginger wrote:I don't know much about them as I have never used one, but it might be difficult to coordinate a suitable time when everybody is available,not much use if there is only one person on line which quite often happens on this site. It could work two ways, you go on the forum see others on there and p.m them and say do you fancy a chat in 5 minutes or you could post a topic in the nesting box that says I'll be in the chat box wednesday at 1 o'clock if anyone wants to join me.

:D:lol::D

It's just an idea and I'm only explain how it has worked on other forums, I'm not being pushy it's just a thought!! :D:oops:8)

Kindest regards

Sammi

-x- :wink:

Hello everyone. :D

Just thought I would make this topic pop up again so everyone can post their answer on the poll. I really do think a chat room would be a great idea and If we get lots of yes votes I can ask James what he thinks.

Thank you for taking the time to vote.

Kindest regards

Sammi

-x- :D

instead of having yet another area to check etc why not just start a new topic in the "nesting box" and once the topic is no longer needed ask one of the moderators to delete it.

I'm sure setting up a chat room is not something James and the omlet team can simply turn on, its likely to be something that they would have to purchase.

Also imagine trying to have a converstation with more than 2/3 people, its very had to keep up with the converstaion.

Its hard enough keeping up with the posting let alone instant messenger.

Just my thoughts.

Yes - I agree. As I said earlier I would prefer just using a topic. Deleting it as Steve said would be a good idea.

We tend to use Louise's Diary for just this purpose at the moment anyway! :oops:

James and the other lads have probably got enough happening without any more additions :D

Lesley

Feel free to abuse my diary as much as you like as I've said before I can't go into a chat room as they are blocked by my work firewall - heaven forbid I should have any fun :!::!: I know what you mean though sammi you kind of stumble across messages etc when you switch on and then respond it can be a bit disjointed but it seems to work.

• Omlet Staff

Hi guys,

Just been reading the comments about a chatroom. I think it is a great idea and have a will look into the technology it and see how they work. I think everyone would enjoy it. I don't think people would be rude or abusive as it would be for egluowners only and I haven't met a nasty one yet : )

I can't promise anything.... but will certainly look into it.

James

:oops::oops::oops: Sorry Louise .... I have prob abused ... though have a quite good knowledge of the North, having spent time in it (and most places) over 18yrs :!: . Anyway .. tales of butchery and wheels being stolen, were a wee bit "hijacky" of your diary .. so I humbly apologise :shock: . By the way, have I told you about the Safari Park stuff yet. :lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Sarah ... humbly with (green eglu)GNRPP

Hi guys,

Just been reading the comments about a chatroom. I think it is a great idea and have a will look into the technology it and see how they work. I think everyone would enjoy it. I don't think people would be rude or abusive as it would be for egluowners only and I haven't met a nasty one yet : )

I can't promise anything.... but will certainly look into it.

James

Thanks James it would be great if you could look into it and if it doesn't make to much work for you I think it would be a great thing to have on the forum. :D:lol::D

Hi everyone. I can understand everyone's views and think that useing a topic in the nesting box is a good idea if the moderators don't mind keeping an eye on it and deleting it every now and then. But I think if James does get a chat room set up you will use it if and when you feel like it and hopefully most of you will enjoy it.

It will be a great place to go for a chat if you are on your own and want to meet up with others. I know that's when I and others on other forums use it most.

Take it easy

Sammi

-x- 8)

Hi Sarah, I don't mind honestly it's nice to find someone who knows the area :!::!: As for me joining the 21st century Lesley it won't happen I have sworn never to have the internet at home I have a laptop but it isn't connected. I am not a technophobe but I have managed without it and can't see any reason to change :!::!::?::?: I also don't know how to use a games console I am I the only person left on earth who doesn't have that skill :?::?::oops::oops::oops:

No Louise - you're not alone - I wouldn't know one end of a games console from the other :lol::lol::lol:

Couldn't live without the internet at home though - just off to book hotels in London for American relatives visit in July! I like being able to 'look around' the rooms etc. before booking.

Lesley

i have the net at work and I don't have to pay for it!! Where I live you don't get channel 5, digital tv or broadband so I think I would find it very frustrating and slow also I would do nothing else :!::!: Glad to know about the games consoles it was getting lonely out there :P:P:P