Rhona

Can't buy a chicken to cook

I think I might just do that, they are raking up all the grass now that they are confined to the garden.

Never mind this weekend we are house hunting looking at small holdings and some houses that are coming up at auction for me to renovate.

So you never know we may end up with the farm we have dreamed of yet, the one we are veiwing tomorrow has 6 acres that somebody else rents most of to graze their horses on sounds good to me get rent for the land and somebody else maintains it........... :lol:

Just on the chickens to buy strand...............I have been buying meat for years from a place called Swaddles Green Farm in Somerset (they deliver weekly to London) and I had many a conversation with Bill Reynolds who ran it and was himself an organic poultry farmer. He was very cynical and spent many hours at our kitchen table bemoaning the poultry producing industry. He insisted that 'free range' was no better than bog standard and that only 'organic' chickens could be guaranteed to have had a better life. You will notice that the price difference between 'free range' and 'organic' chickens is often quite substantial. He claimed that you could call a chicken 'free range' if it 'had access' to the outdoors - but many farmers hang a hosepipe over the exit to the coop and the birds will not go out if they think it is bucketing down (not my experience with ours.....). There are all sorts of other dodgy things like slaughter and food which can only be enforced by the 'organic' status, not 'free range'.

So what I am saying is - according to the gospel of Swaddles, only organic chicken will do.

By the way, we had a Japanese TV company (TV Tokyo) here a couple of weekends ago filming us with the chickens and eglu/run for a little piece on urban chicken keeping that was shown on Japanese TV last week! They are going to send us a copy! It was good fun - they particularly wanted a London family, and Johannes put them in touch with us. The girls (feathered variety) behaved impeccably, which is more than can be said for the cat and the teenager.

Karen

Lesley sorry I did not notice you had changed your user name :oops:

Karen I have also heard that organic are the only chickens that are truly allowed to wander free and get treated better. The price difference is large I have just payed over £8 for a small free range chicken when a battery chicken would have cost me £2.99. But it is worth it the taste is so much better and I feel I can justify eating a chicken that has had a better life.

Well done on the T.V. thing karen I am trying to work out how we can pick up Tokyo T.V we might need a bigger aerial :lol:

Kate what am I reading between the lines are you a T.V star is that your secret.............. :lol::lol::lol:

I would not eat an animal that had just died but would not hesitate to eat a healthy one I was keeping. We have eaten most of the guineafowl we bought last year and they are delicious especially because they have been running round the farmyard eating whatever they like for the last few months. I always try and buy meat that I know where it has come from.

:wink: Just been to the farm where I now get "top up eggs" :roll: , as my kids eat Ginger and Peppers :!: . Anyway they do meat there too, and having tasted their Pork, decided to buy a chook to roast next sunday.

Will let you know what its like .. the girl told me it was free range/organic and hormone free, and it actually cost less than Tesco/Sainsbury bests. Just wondered though if it was one of the GNR from the field next to the henhouse :oops::oops::oops: .

I paid £5.11 for a chook to feed 2 adults and 2 kids, so will let you know what I think .. the pork was the most flavoursome I've tasted in ages so fingers crossed.

Sarah .... (green eglu)GNRPP

The problem I have round here is that no one sells organic meat at under a mortgage price :? Fortunatley meat doesn't agree with my tummy and the rest of the family are used to not having much meat, anyway they are all male and it does funny things to them if they get too much red meat :lol: