Rhona

Can't buy a chicken to cook

Has anybody else found they cannot buy a full chicken to cook since getting their girls?

I can buy thighs and chicken breast (both have to be skinless and boneless now) but when I see a full whole chicken I sort of go ahhhhhhhhhhh and it's off the menu :)

I named my girls sage and onion as soon as I got them, now have changed that I think it sounded too much like they were for dinner one day and never will be, so now they are called Cissy and Ada(after Les Dawsons sketch with Roy Baraclough...sp?) They are both blousy dames just like the sketch)

Rhona (green eglu)

Cissy PP

Ada GNR

Hi Rhona

My two are still called Sage and Onion (my daughters named them) and it seems to quite suit them now.

I still buy chickens to roast but since I acquired the girls I always try to get organic free range birds - my daughters call them "happy chickens". Luckily I have a really good local butcher who always has them available.

Snap! I'm with Nicola and Janet and buy free range "happy chickens" for dinner now. They taste better too (sorry :oops: !)

I can understand what you mean though, Rhona. I can see my girls sat in the roasting dish when we have a whole chicken and it does put me off a bit until it's nicely roasted and golden and mmmmmmmm........................ :D

:wink: Sort of related .. I once worked in a Butchers, when I was a student. I always found it best not to think about where it all came from too much :shock: . Also, I would never go to an abbatoir .. too much info. Just don't look at the chooks too closely, and start to think about roast dinners ... 8) . Omlet chooks are for !egg! 's and cuddles, not FOOD :!:

Sarah

We got free range, organic chicken before we got our two girls, and have continued buying it since we've had them. Admittedly, the first roast dinner we had that was chicken after our girls arrival was a bit awkward - it certainly gave me a few questions to answer! But I could never be a vegeterian, sadly :cry: I'd love to be a veggie and feel better about the animals etc but I'm a bit of a meat lover :oops: Chicken being no exception... :oops::oops::oops: Although I do have to look the other day when walking down the 'chicken' aisle in the supermarket :oops::roll:

We are quite lucky as there is a great butcher's in the town 4 miles from us, who doesn't mind you asking lots of questions about where the animals came from etc, So yes we still eat roast chicken, I love it and couldn't give it up sorry, :oops:

To be honest, I don't really relate the two really, my chooks are pets, my girls and the chicken from the butchers is just a lovely meal. :?

Sammi :wink:

-x-

I must be a very bad person as I tend to eat Poussin which are baby chickens :twisted::twisted::oops::oops: Like Sarah I have spent a fair bit of time in a butchers shop and I have also had to do the whole abbatoir bit I remember once having to go to one in Brigton to pick up scalded calves feet for a chef to make calves feet jelly - bizzare :!::!: It kind of desensitizes you to it which doesn't make it good. Isn't it funny how something tweaks your memory :!::!:

I don't even think of it as 'chicken', just 'food'. The ladies are my pets, like Sammi, and give good egg. The others are for eating. The killing thing doesn't bother me, I just prefer to know that the meat I feed the family has had the best life possible.

Couldn't eat the ladies though!

Helen

:wink: The ammended item I did on the getting to know you thingy :shock: , told of our recent pet loss .. and I think we all feel the girls are "family" not "food" .. after all, when the fish died I did not coat in batter, fry and serve with chips (even though he was called "chips" :oops: ) and I certainly did not make a Balti of the dog ... :shock::shock: .

Best to keep it all seperate :wink: .

Sarah (green eglu)GNRPP

chuckling as I read the replies

thanks all :D

Jangle good that I had a name change then would be confusing to say the least :)

glad it made you chuckle babs, the other day I was a little later out of bed and they both ran out of the eglu telling me off, they needed curlers and a hairnet I swear :roll:

Biscuit exactly the yellow corn fed free range chickens remind me of my little ada's (gingernuts) legs I just can't do it :cry: dog balti oh I have three dogs and couldn't even contemplate ...no no no :wink:

Kate maybe the answer is to get my mum down and roast it for me, god know's hubby does'nt know where the rayburn is :lol:

thanks for the input folks, maybe one day I too will be able to face a chicken pre cooked and whole????

meanwhile hens are doing good cissy is off lay (for over two weeks now) gonna bring her in and show her the rayburn . kidding

Ada laid a huge egg later than nowmal today so hoping for my first double yoker 8)

thanks again

Rhona (green eglu)

Cissy PP

Ada GNR

You really are a squeamish lot aren't you! :D

I've been veggie for nearly 25 years until December. After researching and helping OH to source 'Happy Meat', I realised that my reasons for not eating meat no longer applied.

I now eat meat at home when I know its provenance. While the four girls are definitely pets and would never be eaten, I know now that I also want to 'grow my own' chicken. They will have to look nothing like our other four and not be named but that is the direction in which we are moving.

Is anybody still speaking to me? :?

Lesley

Lesley I agree, I wish I had more room I am definitely thinking of rearing chickens to eat. But as for Babs and Ginger I will never be able to eat them as they are now family pets but if we bought or reared more chickens this would be different they would not be named and I could eat them, better to know where your meat is coming from.

If I ever get a small holding I would not quibble about eating any animal I had reared for food, well OK maybe not the fluffy lamb................... :wink:

yes lets talk about pets I disappeared for a while because Ginger and Babs decided it would be nice to pay the lady next door a little visit, not seen her for a while and all that, her grass might taste nicer. Well Babs managed to get back over the fence and back into our garden but unfortunatly Ginger was stuck nice of Babs to let me know though. I was too chicken HA HA to go and rescue her so OH who has just arrived back from Copenhagen had to go round. The neighbour doesn't shout as loud at him because he fixed her shed roof, neadless to say the chooks are now locked in as punishment..................... :oops::oops: