Hi there

Just received my eglu and been trying to assemble the run but I'm having a few problems getting it lined up. Do the panels overlap at the top of the run or just butt up against each other? If I follow the illustrations in the guide then there are gaps along the side of the eglu. Does it matter where the screws go through the panel. The illustrations show the bottom one going through the smaller hole in the panel and the top going through the second hole from the edge.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very gratefully received!

:D

It took me a while to get tthe run lined up and even then it's wasn't an exact match but after it was in place for a while the thing seemed to find it's own level. So long as you have the clips in place you should be fien. I followed the pictures for the screws as I had a trouble getting things to match up evenly if not. Hopefully someone more technical will come along soon and give a clearer reply

Hi -

I think "20 minutes" to assemble is pretty optimistic - took me around 1.5 hours. The biggest trouble I had was figuring out the difference between the four big green pieces of wire netting stuff - they all looked the same.

In the end I noticed that, if you think of the netting as being made of equally sized "checks", then two out of the four bits of netting have a small area (at one edge only) which has an extra little bit in it, making two of the "checks" there a bit narrower. These two bits are where you join them to the Eglu.

Once they're on, the idea is to match the edges but not to overlap them. I, too, found that once the first few clips were on, the rest went on easily and the structure is surprisingly solid too.

Burst two fingernails though, including a really bad one quite far down !

*whispers* I was thinking that too Shona but wasn't brave enough to say it :oops:

:lol::lol:

I have to be careful what I say about him on here as he read my first ever posting 'Has the Eglu ever been cited in divorce proceedings?!', and took great exception to the fact I had shared his inability to build the thing!

Every now and then he pops on to the forum to see whats happening, so if he ever asks - I didn't say a word........!

:P Took me an hour, I read the instructions several times, the problem was the instructions weren't very good. It took me a while to work out which bit of net was which, and how they fitted together, and which screws should have a washer or not. Improvised with my own toolkit. What really didn't help was that the bits that did go together didn't fit very well. I ended up sat on top of the cage, to depress it to fit the screws.

I can build gas turbine engines. Put up a flat pack chest of drawers in twenty mins where DH failed in two hours. Look after three kids 5 & under, work 25 hpw, fix my own car and make puff pastry at the same time.

It's not us. :roll:

I have also found that it takes two people to put the blue lid back on the Eglu. It comes off readily enough but when you try and put the Golden Pin back in, somebody needs to stand at the other side and push the metal rod like mad with their boot. I have never managed it on my own yet.

However, it is great for cleaning - takes me less than 15 minutes to have it all sparkling and new again. This is a huge advantage I think.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I dont think that many men have that gene that makes you read instructions or ask for directions.... (look at Moses' lot - it they were being led by a woman they wouldnt have been wandering the desert (dessert?!??!) for yonks as she would have asked for directions :wink:

Ouch, ladies that hurts. :cry: I, as a man who does take the time to read the instructions, did assemble the Eglu on my own without any huffin or puffin and it took me longer than half an hour messing about with those bloody run clips..! :wink:

Greets,

Derren