stehaggan Posted February 28, 2011 Share Posted February 28, 2011 Our little banty has gone broody - I have wanted to try hatching for ages and very nearly bought an incy last week (so glad i didn't now lol). So I have ordered a run for my classic and the chick kit to go with and I am planning on moving the classic from the allotment to mothers garden on friday. All I need to do now is decide what hatching eggs to buy and how many eeeeeek very scary stuff but very eggciting as I keep seeing all these chick pics lol x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted February 28, 2011 Share Posted February 28, 2011 You'll need to keep her broody - leave the eggs under her and if she stays move her at night and replace eggs one by one with the fertile ones. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted February 28, 2011 Share Posted February 28, 2011 Good luck Ste I'm hatching soon too, although after much soul searching, I've decided to go down the incubator route Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted February 28, 2011 Share Posted February 28, 2011 As soon as the eggs are on the way they stop being broody Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted February 28, 2011 Author Share Posted February 28, 2011 Lol Dont tell me that lol I've got her on a rubber one to keep Her interested hehe Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted February 28, 2011 Author Share Posted February 28, 2011 6 welsummers eggs have "accidentally" been ordered on my card eeeeek Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted February 28, 2011 Share Posted February 28, 2011 6 welsummers eggs have "accidentally" been ordered on my card eeeeek Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 3, 2011 Author Share Posted March 3, 2011 WOOOHOOO my eggs arrived yesterday - they are a gorgeous deep brown, set up the eglu classic at mothers last night and my run has just been delivered to work so will set that up later and pop her in on the eggs - sooooo excited Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 3, 2011 Author Share Posted March 3, 2011 We have just put our hen on her new eggs sooo cute i can't wait. We sat her on them, she pulled them all close and spread herself over them and moved them to tuck them all in it is so cute I really cannot wait! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted March 3, 2011 Share Posted March 3, 2011 Sounds brilliant. I'm very interested as it is something I hope I will be doing later this year so please keep us posted on their progress. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 3, 2011 Share Posted March 3, 2011 Good luck Good choice of welsummers Hatching with a broody is a much better experience than with an incy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 5, 2011 Author Share Posted March 5, 2011 Well mother hen and eggs seem to be doing fine - I took her off the eggs briefly before to make he eat as I don't think she had moved off them - she did a HUGE poo had some food and water and went straight back in. I've told Mum to keep an eye on poo and if she hasn't done any she hasn't eaten so she will Give her a nudge every few days The next time I post hopefully they will be chicks as I am Now sat in the airport having a beer waiting to board our flight to Sydney woop. Leaving mother to do the hard work with due date the day after we get home x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted March 5, 2011 Share Posted March 5, 2011 Enjoy Sydney. Bet you will be in a hurry to get back! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 25, 2011 Author Share Posted March 25, 2011 Update on custard the broody - well as far as I think day 21 was last night/ this morning. I looked at the eggs yesterday briefly, couldn't see any difference or hear anything. Had a look before and one looked like it had a crack well like a piece that was breaking off o I just closed the door and left her too it. The total lack of sound and movement and now past due date has made me think it's really not going to happen this time I think I will leave the eggs in until Monday then have to chuck them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 A piece broken off sounds good - was the chick not pipping? Give them a couple more days, can take a bit longer and hope for the best Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 If she is still sitting I'd leave it a while yet - Mother knows best and all that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 26, 2011 Author Share Posted March 26, 2011 Cheep cheep- one hatched in the night and it looks like a girl because of the markings and there are two more pipping through now I am like a proud parent lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 26, 2011 Author Share Posted March 26, 2011 Two hatched nice and fluffy Hehe I think they're both girls ammo allowed to pik them Up when all hatched? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 Can you tell sex from welsummer chicks? If she'll let you pick them up, will be fine to as long as you're not disturbing the others Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 Steeee they're so nice!! Lucky that they are girls aswell! I'm so jealous of you right now Hope the others hatch too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted March 26, 2011 Author Share Posted March 26, 2011 Lewis - according to google the females and males have different markings when born so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'm right lol They are so cute I haven't held one yet, just had a check the third egg is completely split in half now so it'll be out soon and number 4 is pipping the broken part of shell. Number 5 has no sign yet so that might be a dud one I can't wait to hold them tomorrow lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...