takoma

Beehaus frame construction questions

Hello. Just received our beehaus and I have a couple questions on frame construction.

First regards the items themselves. Looking at the "What you have received", it appears as though there should be two bottom bars per frame. However, I have what look to be two different types of bottom bars. There's a pack of twenty of just thin bars and another pack of twenty thin bars with tabs on the ends. The instructions and diagrams (http://www.omlet.co.uk/files/public/omlet_guide_to_keeping_bees_and_beehaus_instructions.pdf) don't speak to this difference.

Second is regarding the sides. The long sides are not symmetric, that is, one edge is beveled, the other flat. To have the grooves for the foundation on the inside of the frame means that the beveled edges will be on opposite sides. Is this correct? I might have thought that one side would have both bevels.

Thanks for helping with the n00b question.

25 views and norepies so far, so I will start the ball rolling.

You apparently have not seen inside a real hive?

I would suggest a beekeeping course before you get started with real live bees.

If you had been on a course the arrangement would would have been obvious.

The foundation will not fit if the grooves are on the outside.

RAB

You apparently have not seen inside a real hive?

I would suggest a beekeeping course before you get started with real live bees.

If you had been on a course the arrangement would would have been obvious.

The foundation will not fit if the grooves are on the outside.

RAB

Correct, I haven't seen the inside of a real hive.

My wife is taking a course. I am doing the frame construction to help.

Yes, I'm sure anything would have been obvious to you, but it's unpleasant for you to assume it would be for everyone else.

My question had nothing to do with the grooves. Of course, those must be on the inside of the frame.

My question did have to do with asymmetry of the side pieces and the fact that the bottom pieces differed from those shown in the instructions and supplied with the product. The later being a valid question for the manufacturer of a product (hence this forum) regardless of if one has seen a hive or not.

Patricia, thank you for the helpful and not condescending response. I did in fact phone them. Not only were they very helpful and answered my questions, but supplied photos. Hopefully they'll update the instructions to both add clarity and match the components actually shipped.

Had you initially provided that information I would have suggested asking you wife in the first place. A case of the KISS principle being ignored, I fear.

There's a pack of twenty of just thin bars and another pack of twenty thin bars with tabs on the ends.

The thin bottom bars are for the 'Hoffman' frames. The wide bottom bars are for 'Manley' frames. The Hoffmans go in the brood box (deep frames). The Manley's are for the supers (shallow frames).

Second is regarding the sides. The long sides are not symmetric, that is, one edge is beveled, the other flat. To have the grooves for the foundation on the inside of the frame means that the beveled edges will be on opposite sides. Is this correct? I might have thought that one side would have both bevels.

The idea of these frames is that they are self spacing. They go together so they flat side sits up against the < on the next frame. This gives them a small surface area of contact - then the bees find it harder to stick them together with propolis. The Manley frames in the super aren't such a problem, as bees don't stick together honey containing frames with so much propolis.

Hope that helps.