AJuff

Where to start!

After attending a beekeeping day last year, reading lots of books and gaining the support of OH and three friends, I have finally decided to keep bees. A decision not taken lightly.

So I checked out in depth beekeeping courses to find they are 10 week long on a weekend at a cost of £220! Are they really absolutely necessary? I found a local bee supplier who is selling nucs for £125, demand outstrips supply and they are prioritising people who have been on a course. Courses I believe are already full! I contacted the local beekeepers association and have had a conversation with the chairman who could offer me no advice at all. So why does it seem so hard to get started?

Oh dear! The first thing is that there's been a huge increase in the number of people keeping, or wanting to keep, bees lately. My local group has grown from about 30 to over 100, and the six-week beginners course they run was over-subscribed last year and this, and we already have bookings for next year. I think I was extremely fortunate - I got onto the course in 2009, just before the huge wave of interest started, and I paid £25 for it, but you're right - weekend ones are very expensive.

Next question - do you need to go on a course? Strictly speaking - no, you don't, I learned a lot from the course but it by no means equips you to keep bees, it's just a starter. On the other hand, if you're going to spend £200-odd on equipment, plus possibly £125 on a nuc, you want to have some idea of what you're doing or you could lose your bees within the first six months. I also wouldn't recommend anyone to get bees who hasn't already seen inside a hive - the local guy who is an agent for Thornes will not sell a hive to any new starter unless they have first visited one of his hives and watched an inspection. No matter how much you read/research, the actual experience of taking the roof off a hive and having several thousand bees crawling about in front of you is quite daunting and there are people who think they want to keep bees and then decide to walk away at this point!

I think the most important thing is to have a mentor who is an experienced beekeeper and who can help you out and advise you, and you're most likely to get that through your local group. Can you join the group, just as an associate, go along to meetings and get talking to people - that way you might find someone who'd be willing to be a mentor?

As far as getting hold of bees is concerned £125 seems to be the going price for a nuc. Last year there were very few swarms, at least in this area, and so new beekeepers had trouble getting a colony. The year before however, there were so many swarms that our local group was struggling to find people to take them - again, you need to be in contact with the group and find out who deals with swarms locally, but you might be lucky enough to get some that way, and that's how I started out.

I've found my local group very helpful, but it does vary from area to area. Whereabouts are you based? There might be someone else on here who could advise - you may find that more than one local group is within reach, and that one group is more active and helpful than another. It is just more difficult at the moment because of the increased interest in beekeeping, but it's not impossible to get started. There are people who will sell nucs by mail order and so on, but the price goes up according to demand, it seems.

If you're really determined on this then join your local group, book on to their course for next year, and network to see if you can find someone who will mentor you.

Well I've searched for beekeeping courses in neighbouring counties to check availability. It seems I may be too late this year. In my search I've realised that in Northumberland where I live we have the most expensive courses in the country! I'm a bit reluctant to join my local bee keeping association without firm plans as it seems to me a bit like joining the sailing club without a boat or plans to learn to sail. I could be wrong, maybe I have a confidence crisis.

Last year I met some lovely people on the taster day. Looking in the hives was fantastic! I should have booked then for this year really. Hindsight is a great thing.

Ah, but if you joined the sailing club you might get a chance to crew on someone else's boat! Seriously, I would thinkit is worth joining - we have people in our group who have done a course but don't yet have bees, and they pay a lower fee as Associate members. That way you can go to meetings and start learning, and you'll be in a better position to either book on the next course, or find a mentor, or just hear about swarms.

Don't be put off, you've obviously done your research, and you'll find a way.

Olly's post says it all. :clap:

I see you have dipped a toe in the beekeeping forum too :lol::lol: Just don't put them in a beehaus ....more :lol::lol:

No seriously, I have learned lots there.

The other thing I have learned from beekeeping is that your first jar of honey is VERY expensive and that your hobby will be very addictive.

On here, listen to RAB his advice is spot on and he's kinder here than on the other place..........

Olly, have you looked in yet?

I can't wait.........but I will. of course.

It is not hard to start at all.

Just buy a hive and kit from a national or local supplier. They will not ask if you have any experience of beekeeping (unless, perhaps, if you order incompatible items). Some may supply a booklet to make you into an instant beekeeper after purchasing their product.

There are importers of bees who will gladly simply supply you with what you order without even considering if you are proficient at keeping them alive. There may well be some suppliers local to you that would do that.

It is a bit like 'a puppy is not just for Christmas' in that they do need looking after, but not quite in the same well known ways of keeping a pet. Beekeeping is simple but you do need to be able to work out what needs doing from the signs and symptoms of any potential problem, preferably before it arises.

At potentially £220 for a colony (Th*rne) and all the other kit needed (hive, P.P.E, etc), a course is a good investment unless you have either local support or some knowledge of the subject.

Your decision, though not taken lightly, is not known to these people. There are loads out there who start and suddenly find there is another fad going, and that gets their attention. Those you may talk too will have seen or heard of these people before and do not know how keen and persistent you may be.

There are so many taking up keeping of bees that you are no longer a special case - you are just one of thousands and cannot expect to get special attention unless there is some indication of good intent.

My definition of good intent: A willingness to invest for the care of the bees, or to find out by freely helping at an apiary to gain experience in exchange for that assistance.

Simply throwing cash at the problem just does not cut any ice with beekeepers who then have to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong - which it may well do.

Sorry in advance if I am simply telling you the truth, as I see it. I do not just sympathise; I tell it as it is. I am at least honest in my views, whereas some will give an altogether rosier picture.

Regards, RAB

Sound advice!

OSH - yes, I did a quick inspection last weekend, or rather my bee mentor did, as he's a lot quicker than I am and it was a little chilly. Sealed brood, eggs, and enough stores - that was all we saw, and then we put the roof back on pronto to keep them warm. I'm very happy, as they are quite a vigorous colony. They were flying yesterday, I could see them on the lungwort and hellebores.

I've had a long chat with OH re courses and I have decided to start the local course so I can benefit from local support and hopefully meet other new beekeepers too. As OH reminded me it's cheaper than DD2s violin lessons! Local advice will be invaluable regarding climate and conditions here. :D

Personally, if I found that the local beekeeping society's chairman didn't have any friendly advice to give, I'd probably look to see if any other nearby groups existed!

Yes, beekeeping is very fashionable right now, but IMHO, a good beekeeper will always make time to help others.

There's an excellent series of courses right near you - I was at one this weekend in Bill Quay Community Farm in Gateshead - the beginner level course was a 2-hour job and cost £15.

Reading through this post, it seems you've made your decision. Well done! :D

I agree it is a big financial committment, but very worth it. Like Olly, I started beekeeping in 2009, just before the raised profile of beekeeping made it become the latest trendy thing to do (it was chickens before that). Fortunately for me, I joined an incredibly supportive and friendly BKA (Sutton Coldfield and North Birmingham branch). Nothing is ever too much trouble and there are always a few very knowledgeable beekeepers only a phone call away. I feel very blessed.

I'm very much looking forward to the new season. All of my colonies appear to be doing fine and are bringing in loads of pollen. I haven't done a proper inspection yet but have peeped under the crown boards and there seem to be plenty of bees which is very encouraging.

Good luck with your course. It sounds like a very good place to start and you may pick up some local helpful contacts through it too. :D

I've come to this post a bit late in the day, but like Olly and MedusA I also started in 2009, and I think Olly's first post is spot on. Obviously everybody is different, but I have to say I've found beekeeping harder to learn than henkeeping -mostly because I found all the theory confusing (we didn't see an open hive till the theory bit was over, and I found it hard to have any points of reference) and I just didn't have that sixth sense about stockpersonship which I have with the hens. I would never embark on beekeeping without getting up close to a open hive and flying bees - some people just don't like it. Having done our 10 week course (20 hours), we bought a hive and all the bits in May and thought we'd start the following Spring. However, we got given a swarm in the June from a neighbour and never looked back. Our first season was a bit 'ooooohhhhhh' and we were still rather clueless. We did everything (inspections, feeding, varroa control, oxalic acid etc), and even took a tiny bit of honey, but we had to rely on our neighbour or our mentor all the way.

About this time last year we had a very illuminating chat with a member of our club, who has kept bees for 60 years. He has a very laid back approach, which chimed with us, and since then everything has fallen into place. The bees seem to have undergone a personality transplant and are now very calm indeed (no doubt it was our ineptitude the first year which caused them to be quite annoyed). We can still call on our neighbour or our mentor but last year we did everything ourselves from swarm control to extraction to pest control.

From this experience I would say, definitely join your local BBKA - they can provide help and support particularly in a panic situation (!) and in our case, swarms (there is a list, first come, first served - free) or nucs. The apiary happens to be up our road, and there is a local show as well, its good to know other beeks. Although some individuals can be a bit offputting there are always some very helpful people as well. Just chatting about bees to all and sundry has given us lots of help as well - we sourced some cheap hives from a lady my co-beek did some work for, as she was giving up bees, my OH found out someone he knows is an ex-BBKA Chair, so he gives me advice, and my co-beek's wife was chatting to a lady on her commute who turns out to be a local bee bigwig and lecturer so she is coming to have a look at our hives too!

The other forum is a very useful source indeed. Possibly not for the fainthearted or shy retiring types tho. :silenced:

Well I started the beekeeping course last Sunday and i know i've made the right choice. Already I am in the local loop and am making contacts. The course has been so intereesting so far and i've nine more sessions to go.

Spotted the queen, lots of brood and tomorow we are adding a super!! Very exciting. :D

Glad you are enjoying it too.

I like it where you said that beekeeping is harder than henkeeping. You certainly aren't kidding.

Not only is it almost a science to master at times but you can also go very long periods without any reward. After almost 3 years of beekeeping I had no honey at all. My hive was in a great location but the weather in those years were terrible.

I wish you all the best and full supers!

Martin :):)

Week 5 and things are very exciting with swarm management, queen cells, making nucs etc.

I am loving the course, it's a fab mix of practical and theory. Ted Hooper is bedside reading and I'm looking forward to getting bees soon I hope.

I was almost stung last week, bees were jittery without the queen and there was a bit of static left in the air after a few storms . . it stung the end of my glove which was too big for me so it missed!!!!