Alis girls Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 I've been in the garden and found flying ants horrible things - but in March aaahhhh hate them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LuckyChickenLover- Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 I guess they're arriving early because we've been having such good weather lately (well in London it has been fab , not sure about everywhere else). I'm sure my girls are looking forward to ant day- lots of flying snacks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted March 26, 2011 Author Share Posted March 26, 2011 yes London has been warm - but Oh didnt believe me when I said they were some flying around. Prob thought I was hallucinating or been at the drinky winkeys Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 oh noooooo! flying ants are the WORST I can cope with everything else, but flying ants do my head in.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 We have purple slate with a black cover underlay. (can't remember the name, to stop weeds coming through...) and today the girls totally demolished it! Slate everywhere, black cover everywhere! There were loads of ants and flying ones under and on the slate so thats why! Couldn't work out if it was good or bad Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 I've had a couple of very large bumble bees in my greenhouse & noticed lots of normal ants on Friday coming out of a hole. Ugh! Bees I like, ants & wasps are just pointless creatures & their bites really itch / hurt! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 Wasps are good for your garden as they predate a lot of pests They just become a nuisance in the late summer when the nest is breaking up and the workers have no brood to rear. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted March 27, 2011 Share Posted March 27, 2011 I read something over the w/e about a particular type of bee which is out and about now: the black ones are female and the brown ones male. anyone else got these? we've had several of both Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 These will be the solitary bee Anthophora plumipes, the Hairy-footed Flower Bee. They nest in old walls often in vast numbers though they are actually a solitary bee. We don't get them up here but I had them in my garden when I lived down sarf. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted March 28, 2011 Author Share Posted March 28, 2011 A humungous bee came in the kitchen last week - about size of very big marble - buzzed right past my ear - YS screamed he is insect phobic - I jumped and managed to shoo it out quickly. Not sure why they always buzz within inches of human ears. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...