welsh sarah

pekin hatching duck eggs

Hi

My 2 pekins are both broody, I have put duck eggs underneath them

1 will this be ok

2 i believe 28 days is the incubation

3 will i have to remove mother and ducklings from eglu and cube on hatching away ffrom the other chickens

sorry for all the questions, this wasnt planned, i couldnt let the eggs just die :)

Sarah

My 2 pekins are both broody, I have put duck eggs underneath them

1 will this be ok

2 i believe 28 days is the incubation

3 will i have to remove mother and ducklings from eglu and cube on hatching away ffrom the other chickens

1) Yes, a broody chicken will sit on any eggs, they have no idea that they might not be there own breed, or even chickens at all :lol:. My OH has a friend who's Bantam raised a goose many years ago!

2) Don't know how long a duck takes, others will though. Hens cant count very well, if she's a good broody, she'll just sit and wait till the egg(s) hatch (within reason, but 28 days will be fine as long as she's not already been broody are ages).

3) You should remove your broody hen as soon as possible. Sooner rather than later. She needs peace and quiet. Also, the other hens you have will attack and kill baby chicks on sight, so Mum need to be elsewhere.

Andrew

Crikey! I'm surprised a little Pekin could turn big old duck eggs, but I'm totally new to this & know nothing! :eh:

When I was v young my mum used a broody hen to hatch duck eggs, they all trooped happily round the garden till they got to the pond, the ducklings instinctively jumped in & the poor hen went bezerk! :o

Sorry that's no help to you whatsoever!

I must have fussy Pekins...they refuse anything bigger than a Pekin egg ...Holly sulked next to the Marans eggs I presented her with last year :roll: ... and don't like smaller either......Blossom kicked out all the quails eggs earlier this spring & accepted only Pekin & Araucana/Pekins in their place :roll:

Good luck!

Sha x

Nugget, my Buff Rock Bantam hatched Orville, an Aylesbury duckling last year :D

She was shocked when he first went for a swim but soon got used to it :lol: He'd chase her all around the garden but was fine without her heat after a few weeks :)