kaza46

Help!!! Chick missing

Today my chicks hatched but the weird thing is there are 3 broken eggs but only 2 chicks. Can't see it anywhere. I have searched under the broody with no luck. Seriously where is it???? :(

Edited by Guest

No evidence of Rats digging under the run. They are in a Eglu so i can see how it would plus it was born today so it wouldn't wonder off that early, would it? And thirdly if the hen had eaten it wouldn't there be evidence of feathers or something? I am so confused as to where it is. I have to say it may pop its head out tomorrow and mistery will be solved but i have lifted her and felt around under her wings and underbelly and only 2 were there. were oh were is my little chick :-(

OMG that is horrible. I can't believe she protects them that well and then will just eat one. I am thinking this is what has happened though as its the only explination. I have one last egg left that i have put into an incubator now as its not due till Friday (i put it under later not relising she won't take to it) so maybe this one will be ok as well

Be careful of chicks in eglu runs.. I found one of mine struggling itself through the mesh and if I hadnt been there to see it it would have wondered off.. they need something to block the edges all the way around.. because they CAN get through.. I put a strip of hardboard around mine wedged with housebricks.. :wink:

I was concerned about that i have to admit so i have decided that for tomorrow i am keeping the door to the coop shut and putting her food and water in with them. She won't need to go out tomorrow and then i am moving her tomorrow night down near the house away from foxes so i can keep an eye on them and she will then be in a little hen house that is safe for them