LunaKiw1

floppy comb, rather fluffed up, dirty knickers

We've just got back from two weeks away and our 30 year old son came back home to cat and chook sit. He reported that Ginger had been a bit fluffed up recently and today when we let them out of the Eglu into the WIR and saw her for the first time she clearly looks unwell. She seems to have been doing yellow poo and her knickers are very dirty. Her comb is all floppy and she din't seem keen to eat. She and Pepper have been free ranging this morning in the garden and I can see she's just moving around very slowly. They were wormed (Flubenvet) only 6 weeks ago and kept in with no treats for the full week so it ought not to be worms. She is two and a half and after a spell of softies she then stopped laying around 3 months ago after being a very good layer up until then. Any other suggestions please?

Firstly I would clean up the knickers and make sure that she is well protected against flystrike. If she is an older hen and hasn't produced an egg recently I would have a feel of her tummy checking for swelling, fluid or tightness. All can be an indication of peritonitis (or tumour). If she is a younger hen then give her a general once over checking for parasites, check her crop and vent for abnormalities.

Thanks Chucky Mama. She is I an older hen, 2.5 yrs, so my husband checked her over last night and she didn't have a soft tummy - if anything quite firm but he confessed he wasn't sure what he was comparing against as he's not done a similar check on her before so couldn't judge what was 'normal'. We bathed her bum and got that clean and dried her with the hairdrier - which she just stood and accepted without fuss. When we put he back in the WIR she took herself off to bed straight away - much earlier than they normally do at this time of year. This morning she came out of the WIR very slowly and hasn't yet shown any interest in food or even water. She just seems very slow and down and droopy.

Thanks again - we'll compare her with Pepper tonight. She's happy enough sunbathing out in the garden at them oment and although she wasn't interested in her Glug this morning both she and Pepper have enjoyed cold team in a saucer at lunchtime. I don't know if team is good for them but they have always enjoyed sharing a cuppa! I've also ordered some Nutri Drops from the Omlet Shop today in case they may give her a boost. I really appreciate your advice and support!